Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ShopBot Hands-on Training Classes

Default ShopBot Hands-on Training Classes

I am excited to offer hands-on, in-depth training on programming and using the ShopBot CNC router. What better way to get up to speed quickly than by participating in a small group environment in a real, working shop? There is no substitute for watching someone firsthand, then trying it yourself, and getting feedback from an expert, experienced teacher.

Getting Started

If you are new to ShopBot and/or CNC routing, or are wondering if this is the machine for you, my “Getting Started” class will have you creating Part Files and cutting projects the first day. This two-day class is designed to give you the information you need to set up and configure your machine and its control computer, show you how to use PartWorks to create and toolpath projects, and give you hands-on experience setting up workpieces and machining them with the ShopBot. Learn the tips and techniques you won’t get from the Help files, while getting practical advice from someone who uses the ShopBot every day. This class will save you valuable time and money by shortening your learning curve so you can concentrate on designing and machining your projects, instead of trying to figure out the machine and software. Each student will create toolpaths and machine parts for a project that they can take home for assembly and finishing.

Prerequisites: Basic computing skills and familiarity with the Windows operating system. I recommend that each student bring a laptop with the ShopBot Control software and PartWorks. A limited number of computers are available for use by students who cannot bring a laptop.

Number of Students Limited to 6
    Cost: $400 per person (two days, includes materials)

2011 Dates: Friday/Saturday May 6-7
    Friday/Saturday July 8-9
    Fall/Winter dates to be announced
    Group Dates and Rates available – please inquire
    Please call or e-mail for more information or to register for a class.
    David Buchsbaum
    Beacon Custom Woodwork, Inc.
    dba Atlanta Closet & Storage Solutions
    404-309-9146
    david@atlantacloset.com

atlantacloset.com
    beaconcustomwoodwork.com

Let me be the first to recomend this class to anyone that is just getting into the CNC shopbot world. David is an excellent instructor and his understanding of both the software and real world building practices makes for a great learning experience. Take this class and you'll be up and running (making sawdust) in no time.

Gary

David i guess the check is in the mail. Right?

Gary,

Check!

(that's an electronic check in case you were wondering).

Thanks for the plug.

David.
    David Buchsbaum
    404-309-9146
    david@atlantacloset.com

atlantacloset.com
    beaconcustomwoodwork.com

David, I've been a fan of your posts and your work for quite awhile. I'll not be able to make the first session because of a longstanding prior commitment to the executive director (my wife) but I'm hoping for the next date :-)

Thank you Gerald. I am also planning a more advanced class called Advanced Toolpathing and Introduction to Programming. It might be more beneficial for ShopBot owners who already know the basics.

Here are the particulars:

Advanced Toolpathing and Introduction to Programming

Already familiar with PartWorks and the ShopBot? Want to take your work to the next level? In this two-day class I’ll cover more advanced toolpathing techniques, demonstrate how to customize PartWorks to get the exact output code you need, and show you how to add programming statements to your ShopBot Part Files to automate your operations and allow user input during the running of a file. You’ll come away with a much better understanding of what goes on behind the scenes when you run that Part File, and a new bag of tricks to help you get more work done with less effort and frustration.

Prerequisites: Familiarity with PartWorks, ShopBot Control software, and the basic operation of the ShopBot. I recommend that each student bring a laptop with the ShopBot Control software and PartWorks (or VCarve Pro or Aspire). A limited number of computers are available for use by students who cannot bring a laptop.

Number of Students Limited to 6
    Cost: $450 per person (two days, includes materials)

2011 Dates: Friday/Saturday June 3-4
    Fall/Winter dates to be announced

If it turns out there is more interest in the advanced class I would be willing to change the basic class dates to advanced classes. Any feedback on what ShopBot users want and when (days of week, topics covered, etc.) would be appreciated. I plan to have complete info and agendas for each class posted on my website in the next week or so, at which point I will post links.
    David Buchsbaum
    404-309-9146
    david@atlantacloset.com

atlantacloset.com
    beaconcustomwoodwork.com

Only a couple of weeks remain until the next class on May 6-7, and there are still some spaces available. More information is now online here including class agendas.

As always feedback and questions are welcome here or via email.
    David Buchsbaum
    404-309-9146
    david@atlantacloset.com

atlantacloset.com
    beaconcustomwoodwork.com

Guys, despite his appearance and lack of grasp on the English language David is actually a pretty knowledgable guy and you could do a lot worse than learning from him. (I JEST)

David is pretty sharp and easy to understand despite his Southern accent (though it's fortunate he's a man, I still think he'd make a pretty ugly woman) and he has completed some AMAZING projects. Whlie you will learn about the bot itself it pales in comparison to learning the techniques and processes he uses. Most will probably never have his patience but glimpsing the creativity is well worth the trip. If you come away without learning anything, you were asleep.

If you go, prepare for you head to hurt from learning so much.

/RB

I was in David's first training class with Gary Gardner a couple of years ago. I can heartily recommend David's training and hands on facility. He has a beautiful shop and is a real professional that makes a living practicing what he preaches. This will be a worthwhile experience especially if you are in the Atlanta/Southeast area. joe

Having been to David's a few years ago, I can tell y'all it's worth the price of admission just to see his cool shop and incredible vacuum table hold-down system he engineered. The guy is amazing!
    Official Cartoonist for the Atlanta Falcons

http://www.flickr.com/photos/mark_tucker52/

Thanks for vouching for me you guys.

There are still a few spots open for next weeks advanced toolpathing and programming class.
    David Buchsbaum
    404-309-9146
    david@atlantacloset.com

atlantacloset.com
    beaconcustomwoodwork.com