Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1/8" collet?

Question 1/8" collet?

I have a 1/2" and 1/4" collet for my PRT96 with Porter Cable router. I want to start doing some small 3D work and have some 1/8" diameter ball nose cutters but where can I get a 1/8" collet? I have looked on ShopBot WEB and looked on EBay and even a Google search but find nothing. I could make an adaptor to fit into my 1/4" collet but I would rather have a true running 1/8" collet.

so a search on here and you will find your answer. someone just posted about that.

What collet style does the Porter use? On my spindle it uses the ER25 style of collet. I got my extra ER25 collets from Micro Mark. Russ

Rob,

You can also get 1/8" ballnose bits that have a 1/4" shank that will fit in your 1/4" collet. I'm not sure I would want to use a bit with a 1/8" shank. Little strength IMHO.
    Don
    Diamond Lake Custom Woodworks, LLC
    www.dlwoodworks.com
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in one pretty and well preserved piece; But to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, worn out, bank accounts empty, credit cards maxed out, defiantly shouting "Geronimo"!

If you make something idiot proof, all they do is create a better idiot.

Before I got my spindle with a 1/8 inch collet, I used a split sleeve adapter with my Porter cable. Never had a problem. Here is one URL from a Google search.

http://www.cadcamcadcam.com/sleeve-adaptor14to18.aspx

All good suggestion, thanks. I'm a toolmaker by trade and was leaning toward just making a 1/8"- 1/4" adapter similar to what Don shows but I would rather just by a "off the shelf" true collet if I could. I will try to contact Porter Cable direct and ask if they do offer a 1/8" collet for my model 7519 router (not a spindle). Maybe a phone call will give what I cant find on the WEB. Thanks again to all.

Try this place http://precisebits.com/

I have used their collet and nut system fo PC routers for a few years. They are amazingly accutate (very little runout).

I've used their collet and nut system with a extended cutting length, 0.9mm, 1/8 shank carbide end mill to drill through PC board. I was amazed the endmill did not break.

If I remember correctly, the collets and nuts are about $20 each. It does require a special spanner wrench.

Paul Z

Default collet bushings

There is also a 1/2" by 1/8" collet bushing that works well in a PC router, I bought four a while back but can't seem to locate where right now.

I use a bit of medium strength lock tight on the 1/8 shaft which helps, but may insulate the bit when using the z plate.
    The decimal point seems to be the most important on the z axis... x & y not so much....
    ShopBot... Where even the scraps and things you mess up and throw away are cool....

You can also use a Stubby Collet Chuck
    High Definition 3D Laser Scanning Services - Advanced ShopBot CNC Training and Consultation - Vectric Custom Video Training IBILD.com

David Buchsbaum
    Beacon Custom Woodwork, Inc.
    dba Atlanta Closet & Storage Solutions
    404-309-9146
    david@atlantacloset.com

atlantacloset.com
    beaconcustomwoodwork.com