Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 1 Man Lumber Mills

The major point is, with a CNC you have the opportunity to use some special, inexpensive, materials like Jack is showing us.

There is a limit to how much lumber I dare take back to the shop. My mind says, "Look how beautiful that board is. "I need that one, it's my favorite", and on and on it goes till the truck is full. Sometimes the boys at the mill throw on a few extra boards. All this keeps me busy for months. My visits to a lumber mill is like Christmas all over again.

I'd suggest a mill visit just for fun. I bet you'll get a lot of new idea's and it won't cost anything.

Joe
    Last edited by joe; 03-27-2011 at 08:56 AM.

In going to the mill isn't the wood green. How are you handling drying the wood out? Or are you using it green? Air Dry? I was alway under impression to air dry was was 1 year per inch of thickness. I would have a hard time storing the wood for that length of time. Plenty of mills where I live.

That's right Ed.

Lumber takes approx 1 year per inch as a general rule. Some of mills have stickered lumber but I don't care. Most of the lumber at places like Lowe's isn't dried. Kiln dried lumber brings a different price. For my purposes it isn't necessary.

Most exterior wood signs are going to crack a little. Even my kiln dried redwood has that problem. If you read my post about finishing rough cedar you'll get a better idea of how it's used. I also love yellow pine (green as a goard) form Lowe's. When buying lumber there I look for vertical grain. It stays together very well. I've also posted some examples of laminating yellow pine and it's strong points.

Here's a sign I made some time ago. It's made with (sopping wet) yellow pine. To this day it doesn't have any cracks. The trick, once again, is vertical grain. You can see what I mean by looking at the board ends. Rough cedar won't come with vertical grain and it's going to crack. I promise it will and look forward to seeing it happen.

I look forward to seeing more work from you guys. Please post your photo's

Joe
    Attached Images Attached Images

The problem with going to the mills is that you collect way more wood then you will ever use in your lifetime!

Since I started buying from a small-midsized sawing/drying operation I have a hard time going to conventional retailers. The place I buy from charges a bit more than the one man shows but the retail prices for stuff they mill are in the "wholesale" range. They also do a good job drying which is important when you want a 14"+ wide board that is reasonably flat to begin with.
    Last edited by michael_schwartz; 03-30-2011 at 02:34 AM.
    Michael Schwartz - Waitsfield VT
    Shopbot prs standard 48x96. Aspire. SB Link.

Michael,

Wish I had that kind of saw mill operation close by. I'd certainly use them also.

You do outstanding work my friend. Wish I was closer so I could by abd pick-up on some of your skills. There are lots of traditional woodworkers in your state and plenty of good lumber too. You're a lucky fellow.

All we got down here is, not much, and Texas is right next door.

Joe