Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1 Man Lumber Mills

Default 1 Man Lumber Mills

Creative Lumbering

A few years ago I was searching for local lumber mills and to my surprise there were several. Most of these fellows keep a very low profile and to find them it's takes a little time and effort. The benefits, for me, is like finding a pot of gold. What I'm looking for are small beautiful pieces that are considered as scrap and often piled up for burning. I've found small lumber mills are the best. A one or two man operation will have lots of attractive scrap laying around and more than willing to sell for close to nothing. You may also come across lumber which has a live edge. That wood has the bark left on the sides.

This is an education for many new wood workers. When I started I couldn't tell the difference between Cypress and Black Walnut. And I didn't know which lumber is best for routing. I found a lots of black walnut left out as scrap. For example,I found some beautiful 14 quarter black walnut the owner said it wasn't any good because it had bugs. I bought it all, once he promised me (Scouts Honor) there live bugs. I like worm holes. After a little research I found I could spray it with antifreze as a preservative.

Since I'm not making cabinets or finished interior products, I can get by materials others can't. Not only that, I enjoy a visit to lumber mills. Viewing the beautiful grain, and enjoying the smells keeps me going back. It's like a mini vacation.

A Little Hint: Take a scrap panel and v carve the lumber mill name in it and you make good friends. Most lumbermen are great to work with. They like to work with artists and will go out of their way to help.

Joe
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by joe; 03-26-2011 at 11:56 AM.

I agree I have two local lumber mills and both are very helpful and excited to help me find the perfect pieces that noboby else has a use for. And a bonus is the cost I allways add on a few bucks because I think they sell to me too cheap.

I recomend everybody find one and keep it LOCAL

JD

You are exactly right Joe.

I made friends with a little saw mill opperation shortly after I moved to my new home in Wisconsin. His scrap pile is a gold mine for making creative little signs, coat racks and such.

I bought some 12" oak and poplar from him a few weeks ago for making some cribbage boards. I'm planning on making him a saw blade shaped cribbage board as a gift. I'm sure he'll love it and it'll pay dividends down the road when he sees pieces I might want.

You're always full of such good practical advise Joe.

Thanks !!!
    Eric Erickson
    Shopbot BT48 Buddy

I agree...Joe is certainly full of it.

There is so much lumber that isn't used because of flaws, cracks, and uneven colors. The attached photo is what I'm talking about. These 22"X 14' are considered waste because of the splits and cracks. Odd as it may seem, that's exactly what I'm after. I picked them up for almot nothing.

I like em just as they are as tables. The'd make good bunkhouse signs too.

Raymond, I hope things are picking up at old age home! I'd pay you a visit, to cheer you up, but the price of gas has me pinned down. Be sure to take your metamucil each day.

Joe

Default Joe made a friend ???

Hard to believe Oklahoma Joe could make a friend, but that is good.

So besides 1 man lumber mills, who are other good people to make friends with ???
    The decimal point seems to be the most important on the z axis... x & y not so much....
    ShopBot... Where even the scraps and things you mess up and throw away are cool....

There is so much lumber that isn't used because of flaws, cracks, and uneven colors. The attached photo is what I'm talking about. These 22"X 14' are considered waste because of the splits and cracks. Odd as it may seem, that's exactly what I'm after. Picked them us for almot nothing.

I like em just as they are as tables.

Raymond, I hope things are picking up at old age home! I'd pay you a visit, to cheer you up, but the price of gas has me pinned down.
    Be sure to take your're metamucil each day.

Joe
    Last edited by joe; 03-26-2011 at 03:34 PM.

talk about wormy walnut, i made this bowl from 1 flat piece of wormy walnut. The bugs make beautiful design. "One mans trash is another mans treasure".....well i guess that makes me a treasure hunter

Wow Jack - that looks really well done!

-B
    High Definition 3D Laser Scanning Services - Advanced ShopBot CNC Training and Consultation - Vectric Custom Video Training IBILD.com

That was done on a "ringmaster" tool. It is a lot simpler then it looks. I started out with a flat 12" square. It cuts concentric rings smaller and smaller that just sit on top of each other.