Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Next Engine

, Friday Harbor, San Juan Islands Washington

Default Next Engine

Does anyone out there have or used the Next Engine laser scanner? Just thinking if they work very well. They really would be handy in does really fancy carvings on the indexer. Just thinking out loud. Any help out there?

You need to talk to Jim McGrew. He just got one.
    McGrew Woodworking, Columbia, SC
    mcgrew636@msn.com

He's on this forum and a bunch of others.

and while i am having a blast with it it is off to california as the lasers stopped working !! yet i am gonna fix it and keep plowing away with it as i have gotten some good scans with it!! it lies a lot of power both in ram and graphics!! i will be setting up a forum on it soon !

Default jan 2012 update

i have some training videos to edit,, in getting ready this am i got my next engine scanner off the shelf (where it sat for a bunch of months after i got it repaired) and found that the software had been updated and with my new I5 16 gig ram siper processor computer with bukoo video ram that i could do this,,, i did this scan (first one in months) and saved it for you!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OAgiX...d7AUAAAAAAAAAA

James that looks great. I have been following the advancements somewhat with the xbox kinect and i think eventually it will get similar results, but results you have gotten is very good. Did you ever carve that model into wood?

Let us know when you start that forum so we can watch your progress. I have a Minolta non contact 3d digitizer but haven't done anything with it for a while since the program that runs it is older and once i get my scan its not as capable in refining the shapes faster because of the slow laptop it runs off of.

I've been using one for about a year and have found that while handy for small items you need to be fluent with 3D cad to actually get results on a larger scale. NextGen sells a program for another 3K or you could use Solid Works or Rhino to edit the output. Otherwise you are machining exactly what you input. If that's all you are after they are perfect.

Here's some pictures of a Stand Up Paddle board paddle I did this past summer for a local charity.

Jim I'm excited to see what you get today. I'll see you in March and look forward to exploring some more......
    Attached Images Attached Images

tim is right about needing a next step in software, i am on a project where i havew this person (much more cad oriented than I) helping me in the background, i am getting enough "base" data on the crucifix project and will be on it again this afternoon

we are pretty packed with info and updates at the camp in march,, look forward to seeing you too!!

Have you ever tried Sculptris?

http://www.pixologic.com/sculptris/

Its easy to model faces and edit "organic" shapes.

Bad news tho, no STL handling. It only imports and exports OBJ format, but Aspire can read it.

MeshLab can convert formats if need be.

D
    "The best thing about building something new is either you succeed or learn something. Its a win-win situation."

--Greg Westbrook

the next engine exports in .obj i will look at the sculptris,, thanks