Thread: Prism cutting problem

Default Prism cutting problem

I am hoping that some of you who cut letters all day can help! I’m experiencing a cutting imperfection when prism cutting. The first photo shows the small ridges that are left after the cut; I’m using a 2” 120° bit from Magnate. They sand out easily… but for what I’m getting for these I don’t need to be spending extra time. Is this par for the course, or do I have a something set wrong? 2nd photo shows what I’m using for the settings.

The third photo is “just for fun”… I had a small amount of Sculpt Nouveau Iron, Copper, and Brass coatings left over. I combined all three and this is the result… an interesting combination of oxides!

Steve
    Attached Images Attached Images

Steve...
    My guess is that your bit is not exactly 120 degrees. Your results look similar to those shown on the Vectric forum. Do a search there and you will find a method to check the angle.
    Gary Campbell
    GCnC Control
    GCnC411(at)gmail(dot)com
    Servo Controller Upgrades
    http://www.youtube.com/user/Islaww1

"We can not solve our problems with the same level of thinking that created them"
    Albert Einstein

Gary:
    I suspect you’re right… Something I would never have guessed. I always thought that if I bought a 120° bit it would be 120°. I don’t know if I found the thread you were referring to but the method I found was for determining gross differences like 60° vs. 90°, my best guess is that my bit is off just a few minuets. As I see it I have 2 choices:
    1.) Redefine the bit a few minuets off and see if it’s better or worse… trial and error
    2.) Do a final full depth pass a few thousandths offset inward… takes more time but works with any future 120° bit.
    Did I overlook other options?

I’m curious… what have others experienced with other manufactures of bits?

Steve

Steve...
    Many of the lesser cost bits use lesser quality materials and are built using lower accuracy standards. I have a number of Magnate bits and have experienced similar results.

If you do the math and geometry, you can make a test scenario for your 120 degree bit similar to what was done for the 60 - 90 on the Vectric site. may of us have had to tune for off angle bits.
    Gary Campbell
    GCnC Control
    GCnC411(at)gmail(dot)com
    Servo Controller Upgrades
    http://www.youtube.com/user/Islaww1

"We can not solve our problems with the same level of thinking that created them"
    Albert Einstein