Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Fun With Gears

Quote Originally Posted by bradywatson View Post
    What happens when you put the planetary gears in mesh with the ring gear, and attempt to add the sun gear? How much is it off? Try marking each planetary gear in exactly the same spot (center tooth or something) and clock them in a certain position for reference. It is helpful as a visual aid.

-B
    Hello Brady, you old timer you!

When I set the planetary gears and the sun gear at the prescribed number of teeth (as I did with the ring gear), they (the gears themselves), were too small in diameter to engage, being off maybe 15-20%. I can't increase the sizes in diameter proportionately for engagement because then the gear cogs get bigger (wider) too and won't mesh up with the outer ring (which is actually called an "inner gear") lol
    The outer ring is tricky in any case and I'm saving that idea for another project. If it's going to be employed as an "electric wall sculpture" (what else would I do with these?), it will need some type of retainer around it to keep it from working itself off of the planetary gears and I haven't figured that out quite yet. That's part of the fun of it though. I get to pretend I'm an engineer!

Following is another brief video of the design I'm playing with now. It's just a rough mock-up cut out of some old 1/4" plastic I had laying around, very plain jane. Intricate spokes and whatever else will be added for the final production and fabrication, and I'll cut the gears again out of 1/2" sheet PVC, which cuts like butter and is easily paintable with the Krylon plastic paints available now. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZWoprtB_7zE

Call me crazy (you won't be the first), but I think I can sell these. Folks gawk at the first one I've made. They love to look at it and ask what its' purpose is. I reply with "Its' purpose is for you to look at!", to which they generally say something like; "It's AWESOME!" haha. I thought about adding some kind of clock to the works, but we already have enough clocks, don't we? Anyway, what can be done is only limited by imagination and a little engineering!
    Last edited by tuck; 04-15-2011 at 09:55 PM.
    Official Cartoonist for the Atlanta Falcons

http://www.flickr.com/photos/mark_tucker52/

I love that! Cool designs for the gear centres too.

Quote Originally Posted by scottbot View Post
    I love that! Cool designs for the gear centres too.
    Why thank you sir!

Mark,
    I mentioned the sun gear because if they are off 15-20% in dia, then it might be possible to enlarge just the sun gear by 15-20% by adding the appropriate number of teeth to get you there. There's no reason, off the top of my head, why you would need to mess with the planetary or ring gears.

Liked the vid...Yeah, sure why not? Sell the heck out of them. I'm sure there are millions to be made in the novelty market, and if executed in the right materials to the right people, it can bring in good money. Liked the background music too - Helps to get stuff done!

You could add a threaded shaft/nut instead of just the plain axle to retain the gears, or use a tapered drift pin or roll pin that sits in there by friction.

-B
    High Definition 3D Laser Scanning Services - Advanced ShopBot CNC Training and Consultation - Vectric Custom Video Training IBILD.com

Brady, something like this? It is a capstan gear like you would see on a sailboat.

Gearotic is totally worth the price.

David
    Attached Images Attached Images

Brady - Oh yes, I know that I can work out the problems by adding more teeth to the sun gear to get things to add up and mesh correctly. I'm gonna tackle it when I'm done with what I'm working on now.

Brady and David Feind- concerning the ring gear in the example (link) that I posted - am I missing something? The sun gear will be driven by the drive motor and it in turn will spin the planetary gears, which will in turn drive the ring gear. The sun gear will be attached to the drive motor and the planetary gears will be thru-bolted to the mounting box. Being as how the ring gear needs to spin in accordance with the planetary gears, it can't be bolted down. I see it as needing to float free and that's why I think it needs some kind of retainer to keep it in place,.....right?

David Feind - did you make that? It looks very cool. Does the ring gear (outer gear) spin? Can you shoot a short vid? I'd love to see it in motion. And yes, Gearotic looks totally worth the price. I am gonna buy it soon, but right now I'm having fun and getting pretty far with Inkscape thanks to Terry Porter.

As i said, the possibilities are endless. You guys will see when I finish what I'm working on now that a "sun gear" can really be a "SUN GEAR".

Mark,
    I liked your video but unlike Brady, I HATED the music...lol

I guess thats the difference between you "squirts" and us "old timers", personally I would have preferred some Mitch Miller for the soundtrack

I did like the way you are designing these gears and there is no limit as to how elaborate some of these can be made, so keep it up.

Quote Originally Posted by myxpykalix View Post
    Mark,
    I liked your video but unlike Brady, I HATED the music...lol
    Lol, Jack, "Bodies hit the floor" wasn't my first choice but I'm new to uploading vids on YouTube, and YouTube picked the tune for me. Nothing that I picked seemed to be ok with them, I guess. I did succeed with an arrangement (after the fact), with the first vid I posted in this thread,...you might like that sound better.....

Thanks man and I'm having a lot of fun with this. I reckon anyone with a Bot can make gears but I'm an artsy-fartsy kind of guy and I want to take it to the next level if I can, with unique design and some fancy engineering. If it's art, I'm calling the first one I did for myself "Synchronicity". The one I'm working on now (for my lady) will be called "The Universe Loves You", or maybe just "Have a Nice Day" lol,.....stay tuned.

Gears,...they truly help make the world go around. That blender on your kitchen counter,...your cordless drill,....your microwave turntable,...your car's transmission and power windows, your CD player, etc., etc. We rarely see them but the modern world would grind to a halt without them (and a little oil), and I reckon that's why I'm fascinated by them.

Edit to say...I managed to change the tune , Jack. Not sure I don't like "Bodies" better, lol!
    Last edited by tuck; 04-17-2011 at 02:26 AM.

One thing i like about the demo vids i've seen for Gearotic is you can make odd shaped gears which make for an added viewing deminsion. I'd like to get that program next if and when i can afford it.

I've always been fascinated by "Rube Goldberg-ish" contraptions. We used to ditch school and ride our bikes to the Science Museum in Chicago and see some of the coolest stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by myxpykalix View Post
    One thing i like about the demo vids i've seen for Gearotic is you can make odd shaped gears which make for an added viewing deminsion. I'd like to get that program next if and when i can afford it.

I've always been fascinated by "Rube Goldberg-ish" contraptions. We used to ditch school and ride our bikes to the Science Museum in Chicago and see some of the coolest stuff.
    Yeah money is tight these days for me too (and a lot of other folks), but I know I'm gonna buy Gearotic soon enough. It's just too cool to pass up and the odd shaped gears you can do with it are very cool. You take a program like that, add some imagination and inventiveness, and the world can be your onion.