Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: looking for a drawing software

Default looking for a drawing software

HI Guys....
    I hope someone can help. I looking for software that will work with the shopbot that I can draw with. It has to work like AutoCAD but not as complex. I want to draw straight line. Be able to measure each line and keep it on the screen. I need to draw thing like French provincial leg and keep the dimension with it.
    I don't want to use sketch as it will not download directly to the shopbot.
    Thank You
    Frank

Frank...
    Try Turbocad or one of the cad clones. Make sure they can weld or join lines into closed geometries.Usually as long as you can export as a Acad V12 DXF you will be good. There are also dozens of freeware programs, but I prefer some direction and support for a few $
    GC
    Gary Campbell
    GCnC Control
    GCnC411(at)gmail(dot)com
    Servo Controller Upgrades
    http://www.youtube.com/user/Islaww1

"We can not solve our problems with the same level of thinking that created them"
    Albert Einstein

Frank,

Take a look at DoubleCad XT. There's a free version. It's an AutoCad LT "work alike" from the makers of TurboCad (IMSI)

http://www.doublecad.com/Products/Do...0/Default.aspx

you should check out inkscape. its free www.inkscape.org

I have bobcad but i wouldn't recommend it. I use inkscape and sketchup. You can get a free add on for the GoogleSketchup that exports in dxf, stl, polyface mesh etc. It actually works very very well. If you want to try it i have the addon and directions just e'mail me. Biggest issue i have with it is when saving, you have to manually add the file extension so partworks or other programs will recognize it.

Regards
    Randy

For 2D drawing it is hard to beat PartWorks. For drawing full 3D things like legs, accompanied by 2D lines and dimensions, Rhino is an excellent choice. You can import 2D drawings that you have already done in PartWorks into Rhino & Export 3D objects you created in Rhino to PartWorks3D.

There's a ton of different programs out there, but I can't say they are as easy to use.

-B
    High Definition 3D Laser Scanning Services - Advanced ShopBot CNC Training and Consultation - Vectric Custom Video Training IBILD.com

I've found DesignCad 3D Max to be a good compromise between cost and value. It's constantly being upgraded and has a loyal following of helpful users.

How. Yune guys don't make it easy. I just want something simple. I want to draw 2d. I want to draw pieces like legs and thing that I cut on the band saw but can do much better on the cnc. plus the cnc will copy. Square, circle things like that. But it must also be about to draw dimension and put the dimension on the drawing. So far turbo cab lite seem to be the best for this unless someone something easier?

Default dimensions

Are the dimensions needed to show to a client ??

Partworks or / Vectric could draw lines that would pass for dimensions with some text added.

Of course in a cad program, the dimensions usually attach to linework and update automatically when the linework changes. I worked with a guy once who thought the dimensions for a building had to be set to the nearest 1/256th.... a bit too precise for the framing crews.
    The decimal point seems to be the most important on the z axis... x & y not so much....
    ShopBot... Where even the scraps and things you mess up and throw away are cool....

Default DesignCAD

Frank,

I have to echo Richard's recommendation. I have used a few design programs ( including AutoCAD- for which you need a college degree in AutoCAD in order to be effective!), and the one that I use for my company business is DesignCAD. I have used versions of this program through the years, and the current version that I have on 8-9 machines is DesignCAD 3DMax, Version 20. I have bought these copies ( all legit copies. I don't want any illegal SW) from resellers on Ebay. I have paid as little as $39 for the SW. There is a copy of V 19 on there right now for 24.95 with free shipping.

If you have drawn any parts in PW, you will be able to quickly draw things in DesignCAD. You can pull dimensions in a heartbeat with this program. It is very logical, very easy to use and you can use their forum or contact their support people ( Kevan over there is GREAT. I send him emails directly and he responds to questions that I have).

What I would do: Once you have drawn what you want to cut, you would save the file. Then you would export the drawing to a DXF file and save that. Remove the portions you do not want to cut (all the dimension lines and angle information, notes, etc.) And either resave or rename to a "to be cut" file. Send that to the controlling computer- either over a network or via Thumb drive or what have you- and open it in PartWorks. Now you are ready to toolpath it and cut it.

I taught myself how to use DesignCAD and most of what I am doing in PW ( both were done with help from others) and you could send me questions or even call me and I will help you with what I know about working with the program. I only use DesignCAD for 2D functions, but one of my guys draws 3D objects for me- and I can get him to help with things if you get stuck, as well. ( Nothing like having built in tech support, that isn't out of India!)

I bet Richard might answer questions for you, as well. It really is so intuitive that you will probably not need very much help to do everything you want to do.

Good luck on it.

Monty