Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: looking for a drawing software

I have also been using DesignCad for years and find it very powerful yet easy to use once you are familiar with it. You can set up custom keybpard shortcuts for your most often-used commands.

You can save some steps by using layers to separate the working lines from dimensions, text, and construction lines. Then just select the layer (or any combination of entities), and choose "save selection only" when exporting the dxf file. That way only the lines you need make it to PartWorks.
    David Buchsbaum
    Beacon Custom Woodwork, Inc.
    dba Atlanta Closet & Storage Solutions
    404-309-9146
    david@atlantacloset.com

atlantacloset.com
    beaconcustomwoodwork.com

Ok guys. I pick DesignCAD 3D Max20. That Monty spoke of. Ten minute out of the box without reading I was drawing. It real easy. The cost is not a lot. Got it from e-bay. It copy in to aspire 3 really easy. The dimensioning is great and really easy also.
    Thank Monty for a good lead.
    frank

Frank,

I am surprised you got a copy so quickly. I am glad it is something you have picked up really easily. I was laying out cuts tonight for a project- and it is pretty simple. There are many things you will discover as you work in the program.

David: I have not done layers going into PW, however a customer or two has set up layers for cuts. Most of my cutting is not so complex that I delve into layers. (soon, however.)

Thanks, all!

Monty

I'm trying to find a 3d package that works for me. I have tried Sketchup but I'm not convinced its for me.

I really like aspects of partworks, especially how it lets me draw polylines by specifying a single point at at time in a dialog box. Any suggestions as to what I should look at, given that I like how partworks does things.

Thanks

I have recently found that SolidWorks has an AutoCad clone called DraftSigth. Its a free download and so far I have found no issues. It looks, feels, runs like AutoCad 2000. And did I mension its FREE! you can find it at:

http://www.3ds.com/products/draftsight/overview/

Thanks but I think that's 2d, I'm looking for a 3d package that's "sorta like" partworks. The sketchup paradigm isn't working for me.

Jim,

There is only one 3D program that is like PartWorks and that is Aspire. You will recognize all the 2D tools, functions and toolpaths, so your learning curve will just be the 3D side of it.

You should download the free trial version and take a closer look.

I believe there is an upgrade path from PartWorks to Aspire, but you would need to discuss that with ShopBot directly.

Tim

I looked at Aspire and I'm also looking at Rhino. I think aspire is about twice the price of Rhino, does it have any advantages over Rhino?

From what I've seen of Rhino so far, it looks pretty nice.

Rhino & Aspire are 2 totally different animals. First, Rhino is just CAD. There are no CAM features unless you buy RhinoCAM on top of Rhino CAD. No doubt it is a very useful program, but not something that everyone needs. In it's standard form, Rhino is a poor choice for creating reliefs and sculpting them. It excels in many areas...but relief creation & manipulation isn't one of them.

Aspire is probably the easiest way to get into the 3D game. It is easy for new users to learn and it will do most of what you would ever want to do in terms of 3D relief creation and machining. There are more powerful programs out there that offer more features, but most will never invest the time to learn or appreciate them, or have the need to really exploit them.

Aspire is the way to go for most & it has fantastic support and examples to guide you as you learn.

-B
    High Definition 3D Laser Scanning Services - Advanced ShopBot CNC Training and Consultation - Vectric Custom Video Training IBILD.com

Thanks Brady, that helped to put things in perspective.

Reliefs are a big part of what we want to do since my wife is interested in fabric printing which will involve carving a lot of plates.

For me, I'm interested in learning how to design chairs, lamps, etc. and that's were it looks like Rhino will excel.
    Last edited by archis; 11-23-2011 at 09:22 AM.