Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bed Support

Default Bed Support

Anyone try using 1" square extruded t slot to reinforce the bed on their buddy?

Well, since nobody's responded i'll toss in a screen shot of a 3d model.
    Attached Images Attached Images

You will have to excuse me. I have never even seen a buddy. I am abpout a week away from delivery. Does the buddy have a table flex problem? If so, it looks like you have a great solution.

An interesting suggestion. My guess is that it would help some. Perhaps it could be further stiffened by mounting a number of extended gussets to each side the Powerstick and fastening them to the sheet? As I'm sure you've intended, your design provides a convenient hold-down means.

Quote Originally Posted by gerryv View Post
    An interesting suggestion. My guess is that it would help some. Perhaps it could be further stiffened by mounting a number of extended gussets to each side the Powerstick and fastening them to the sheet? As I'm sure you've intended, your design provides a convenient hold-down means.
    Dont think the gussets would be necessary If you cut the center material a little larger and put a rabbit around the top and bottom edges so it'll fit in the slots of the extrusion. It should further reinforce the structure.

Quote Originally Posted by COBOB View Post
    You will have to excuse me. I have never even seen a buddy. I am abpout a week away from delivery. Does the buddy have a table flex problem? If so, it looks like you have a great solution.
    You can have a problem with whatever substrate you use for your spoilboard. Humidity and temperature changes could cause it to flex.

Has anyone actually used this method for building a table?

Not exactly the same thing (more involved than just a frame), but I'm a fan of the 1" 80/20 aluminum extrude (10 series). My workplace has extremely high humidity and an mdf spoilboard (only) was problematic. Zero issues since modification. If I were going to use the extrude as just a frame for mdf, I would maybe bump it up to the 15 series which is 1.5" square. It's a touch more robust and I was surprised on the deflection under stress of the 10 series over 6 feet. Sorry for hazy pic ... cracked lens on phone.

Quote Originally Posted by BJRphbow View Post
    Not exactly the same thing (more involved than just a frame), but I'm a fan of the 1" 80/20 aluminum extrude (10 series). My workplace has extremely high humidity and an mdf spoilboard (only) was problematic. Zero issues since modification. If I were going to use the extrude as just a frame for mdf, I would maybe bump it up to the 15 series which is 1.5" square. It's a touch more robust and I was surprised on the deflection under stress of the 10 series over 6 feet. Sorry for hazy pic ... cracked lens on phone.
    I am also a fan of an all-aluminum table. I did fool with trying to hold an MDF top flat for a few years, but went with a table made up of aluminum extrusions from Hubbard CNC, and love it. It will be two years this summer with the aluminum table and I couldnt be happier.

I actually was going to order a T slot top from Techno-Isel, but they were out of stock for a few months on what I wanted, so I went with the Hubbard stock. Love it!

I think Shopbot should offer an option, for an aluminum T slot table top. Some might not want or need it. But, I would have bought it. Using both for several years, Aluminum is the way to go where humidity changes. Here, it is from 30% to 85% swing, seasonally. Thats a lot of movement.

With the aluminum top, I can cut accurately to within 5 thousandths in depth when cutting sheet goods. No where near that with the MDF, as right after I surfaced the top it would start to move.

I am in the middle of rebuilding my BT48. I have converted it to all THK linear bearings a new Z axis and will be adding a Spindle. I built a t-slot table as you can see in the pic.