Thread: Onion skin trouble

Hybrid View

Default Onion skin trouble

Anyone else cutting curves on cabinet parts and having issues with the onion skin tool path?
    This started happening about a month ago and I have been unable to get it resolved with TWD.
    Curve gets broken up as segmented lines on the onion skin pass. Tool path is all herky Jerky.
    Using imported DXF from Turbo. Been doing this for a few years now and never saw this issue. Cut parts out with curves and never saw it neither. Can't figure it out and neither can TWD. Any ideas?

Should also add that the machine (prs Standard) is cutting 2 passes at .37" in .75" material. Both .37" passes run thru the curves without issue. Just the onion skin get's broken up.
    TWD says they don't see what I have been dealing with when they look at the files.

Tim,

You may have exploded ... literally. Go into turbocad and define a circle. Use node edit and you'll see perhaps two nodes total. Then explode the circle. Now you will have many segments which make up the circle.

I had this happen to me on an EM:HE build and just had to live with it because the was no time to fix it.

Paul Z

Hi Paul,

Just checked the arcs in the DXF. Arcs consisted of a start and stop node.
    Also, Initial .37" depth passes ran smoothly. Could the link be doing something odd with the twd for the onion skin?

Thanks,
    Tim

Would anyone be able to air cut this file thru their link and see if it behaves the same as I have been witnessing? The part labeled 'top' is affected by DXF part editor cuts.

It may help to troubleshoot if it's my Link, machine, dxf, etc...

Thanks for any help,
    Tim

Must be something in the link. Just had a Thermwood shop run the same file for me by providing them with the ESJ. job file I created to run on my machine. They ran it at the same depth of cut (.37") and saw no issues with the 2 passes or the onion skin. Problem must be in the E-cab/Link translation. My guess is that there is something not communicating correctly between the Link and the latest E-cab update.