Thread: Cedar Mantel

Default Cedar Mantel

Cedar Mantle ~60" x 6" x 12". Scene was purchased from vector art 3d by the customer.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Ken Zey
    Lookout Mercantile / Digital Millwork
    Rogers, AR
    www.CedarSlabSigns.com
    www.lookoutmercantile.com
    www.digitalmillwork.com

6x12 PRS alpha

Very cool Ken. I've been approached by many people to do this exact type of cedar mantles. I assume you cut a slice off the face, carved it and then glued it back on? That is my plan.
    Don
    Diamond Lake Custom Woodworks, LLC
    www.dlwoodworks.com
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in one pretty and well preserved piece; But to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, worn out, bank accounts empty, credit cards maxed out, defiantly shouting "Geronimo"!

If you make something idiot proof, all they do is create a better idiot.

Awesome!!!
    Official Cartoonist for the Atlanta Falcons

http://www.flickr.com/photos/mark_tucker52/

Default Stagecoach

Pretty impressive, looks like a six-horsepower stagecoach, must be pulling some beer of some kind.
    The decimal point seems to be the most important on the z axis... x & y not so much....
    ShopBot... Where even the scraps and things you mess up and throw away are cool....

Excellent work Ken.

The wood, with it's colors add a lot of movement to the carving. You gotta make one of these for youself and prospective clients.

Keep up the good work. Looks like you're on a roll.

Joe Crumley
    www.jcrumley1@cox.net
    www.normansignco.com

Don,
    My plan was exactly as you say when I had the PRT, but with the 12' PRS, I set up the table so it has a 2' overhang with the idea of doing things like this. I do quite a bit of work with logs such as mortises for balusters and the overhang has come in very handy. Plan is to build a nice adjustable/removable table under this area, but for this one I jury rigged it.
    Ken Zey
    Lookout Mercantile / Digital Millwork
    Rogers, AR
    www.CedarSlabSigns.com
    www.lookoutmercantile.com
    www.digitalmillwork.com

6x12 PRS alpha

Ken;
    Very nice work
    Before you build a structure on the end and fight with the overhang problems take a look at this.
    I have had to make a number of table bases that started as 12 x 12 beams. I decided to cut a hole in my table from about 77 to 90 in the X and 6 to 42 in the Y. This was the largest that i could make it without moving the steel and I didn't have time to do that. I then put an open Box in underneath that is attached to the PRS steel beams and is very close to being perfectly aligned with my top surface. It has made handling these large beams much easier. It is like having a basement 8 1/2 inches below part of my table.
    I have a joinery setup on one end now for mortice and tenon work using Gary's dovetail setup as my starting point.
    If I knew then... I probably would have set my table up "shorter" in the Y because I rarely do full sheet work like the cabinet makers. That would have given me room for a big overhang on both ends. Although this hole in the surface does allow me to cut 4 x8 by just putting a Brady vac with a closed bottom over it.

Ken,
    I like your "helper" in the shop there. Beats having to manhandle that heavy stuff huh?

To date i haven't done anything extra long but if you look at my table, your picture has shown me an idea on how to do thicker long stock and i'm thinking i could set up one of those fences with a micro adjustment to be able to index it....

Ken,
    Paint the forklift blue, and you're done with the refit.....
    "Share your knowledge. It is a way to achieve immortality"...The Dalai Lama

"Nothing is really work unless you would rather be doing something else....." Sir James Barrie

Bill-

And you then need to send him two ShopBot decals. One for each side of the mast! He can have the first ShopBot Robo-helper...