Thread: Dupicating an inlay in a cabinet door.

Default Dupicating an inlay in a cabinet door.

I have a request to quote a price for making a duplicate inlay in a cabinet door to match an existing inlay that the customer already has.

My question for the knowledgeable community is what type of price something like this should bring? The piece is a flower pattern with about 6 different kinds of exotic wood inlays to make the full picture. It is inlayed in the face of a cabinet door about 18" x 30". The door is made of cherry and the inlay is exotics.

Have anyone out there done this type of work and what price range should this be for a one off copy?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Dave

Signs of the Times in Brighton, Brighton Ontario

Dave, I had to do one of these about two months ago when a clients house was trashed during a break in. It was a cabinet door in the kitchen for a 36" cab. Not having the time or inclination to do this I PAWNED the job off to a buddy that does intarsia. It took him over a week to do and he lost his shirt at $500. The thing was a perfect match detail wise but the colours never quite worked. Wound up stripping both down and another week of f**ting before it looked right. Homeowner was never really happy and the insurance only covered $150 since the door was not a specified item. Cost to me was a buddy who wont talk to me now, a client that doubts the amount of work it took and an insurance company holding up my cheque until they verified every little thing because of the price of that door. That door cost me at least $750... My advice run and run hard...dont look back.. If you do take the job then do both doors...my 2 cents worth..

TerryD

Dave,
    What's your gut say about the job? Is it hot or not? If you did get the job, would you REALLY want to do it? Sounds to me like it could be a pain, especially since you are going to have to track down exotic woods and try to match them up. Terry has the right idea doing 2 doors at once.

-B

Dave,

I've done a couple of these, and can tell you that if you decide to do it, have the customer approve the "actual" materials that you will use.

You should also be aware that if one wood is going to be let into another, that you will have to do this in steps which is going to really up your time.

Also know that as you lay one wood into another that you are probably going to be adding glues to your cut paths and that the density of the woods is going to be in a constant flux along with a constant change of face grain and end grain. Be carefull with speeds and feeds.

The last one I did was a 28" circular pattern using 5 different woods. I charged $1200 for it and think that I probably made about $14 an hour. Computer time, machine time, sanding and finishing.

If you are good with that.... go for it. I did learn a lot doing it.

Les

FWIW I have a list from the actual manufacturer of what woods were used in the original piece. The problem is that it was a limited edition and only made for a certain timeframe. So they will not make anymore at any cost. The customer is wanting a matching set and the doors will be on different cabinets on different sides of the room. I have my doubts about being able to match the finish exactly and the wood types and grains will also be a pain.

Now for the positives? Aside from the challenge I have a very short list of the positives. I am really quite busy with other projects and we are in the middle of adding onto the shop. Another 1000 sq. ft. and a new home for the Botzilla. So maybe I should let this one pass?

Thanks for the advise.

If you are busy, I would turn it down or overprice yourself out of it...Sounds like a time consuming job with little fun factor...

-B

You might be able to find a veneer inlay of a flower which would be similar and remake both doors with veneer and the veneer inlay. These are not very expensive and you would be able to show them exactly what the inlay would look like and they could sign off on it before beginning the job. Otherwise, I agree that it sounds like a learning experience which ends with no one happy.
    Wayne

1. Draw it
    2. Get a Laser cut veneer shop to make up a lay-on (incl cherry background) that comes on a plastic film.
    3. Glue it on by your veneering method of choice.

Cheating I know but it works a treat.
    I'm doing it as I write putting MOP medalions in chair leg tops.

r.