Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: PRS Standard

Quote Originally Posted by bradywatson View Post
    Well you've got good communication now...although, that doesn't completely rule out a comm problem because other USB devices can still 'stand on' the comm to the bot if you don't install a dedicated PCI to USB card on some computers (namely Dell).

A few more questions:

1) What are the conditions where you lose steps? - IOW - How fast, how deep, what material, just 2D, 3D or both?

2) What version of SB3 are you running? I would update and BE SURE to install fresh firmware with UI command.

3) Your USB cable isn't longer than 10' is it?

4) Using Windows Task Manager - find out what is running in the background. Use MSConfig to modify startup programs.

-B
    (1)
    Just Jogging not cutting anything

(2)

(3)
    About 6'

(4)
    I'll look at that today

(5)
    See Attachment
    VR Settings.JPG

Thanks for you help!!!
    I’ve never been fired, but, I have been laid off when they were still hiring.

PRS Standard 48"x96" with PC Router and Aspire 9.008, Cabinet Parts Pro

www.cncsignshop.com
    cncsignshop@nc.rr.com
    919-802-7477

Say Jimmy, you may want to play with your jog speed I found that a lower value worked best for me. My jog values are only at .25

Installed New Drivers and I’m up and running again. My machine runs smother and sounds 100% better.
    When I started the software up and started to run test, every thing was running in reverse order, I called Shopbot and talked with Frank, he told me to swap the green and black wires on the plugs at the control box, that fix it.
    I thank every one that helped in the forum and emails. I hope my fix might help someone with the same problems I had.
    Jimmy
    I’ve never been fired, but, I have been laid off when they were still hiring.

PRS Standard 48"x96" with PC Router and Aspire 9.008, Cabinet Parts Pro

www.cncsignshop.com
    cncsignshop@nc.rr.com
    919-802-7477

Default History and a bit of future ...

We've had a couple of questions about this thread and particularly Jimmy's success by installing the new gecko drives. My understanding is that his was an older PRSstandard with the black #202 gecko drives. It was determined that a drive had gone bad, and rather than replace that single drive the choice was made to upgrade all 4 drives to the newer #203 geckos. Not only did this fix his problem, but because the #203 are a little better driver, his overall performance improved as well.

I wanted to clarify that the first standard PRS's shipped with the 202 geckos. When the 203's became available to us, we shifted to using them. More recently, we upgraded the entire standard Control Box one step further with a new control board (with spindle control), somewhat better RBK drivers made by OrientalMotor, and a sealed industrial aluminum box. I really like this newest system and we are pleased to be able to make it available. (Unfortunately, the price went up a bit at each step.) However, even the first of these control boxes works well, and for us, it was a huge improvement from what had gone before and from what was available at even higher prices in other tools. Please note, that either we or gecko continues to be able to provide replacements for any of their drivers if a problem develops. They are a solid drivers and an industry standard. Gecko has always been supportive of us and ShopBotters. We continue to use gecko drivers in our new Desktop ShopBot CNCs.

Somewhat related to other issues in this thread, we will soon be making available a software update that includes a firmware enhancement for all PRS controllers (more specifically for any ShopBots with V201 or later Control Cards; this includes later PRTalphas and V4g ugrades [sorry about all the confusing numbers]). This boosts the communication speed X2, increases the outboard buffering X6, includes new communications checks and corrections, and a number of other things. We hope to release a beta versison shortly. These changes drastically improve overall communication efficiency and robustness between PC and outboard Control Box, and essentially do away with the need to worry about communication performance tuning. On many tools this will also improve movement speeds because the tool won't be running at the top end of communication channel capability.

Ted Hall, ShopBot Tools

Thanks for the info Ted!
    I also have the older drivers PRS Standard 2007 and have debated about upgrading the new control box and drivers.
    I would prefer an Alpha upgrade( not possible yet!$$$$$)
    I don't expect not to lose steps-but a bit more robust machine?
    Maybe a bit faster jog?now @4"/sec

I like the features of the new box-but is it worth the extra cost?or is the belt -drive gear box upgrade that Dave R is working on a better deal?
    http://www.talkshopbot.com/forum/showthread.php?t=12709

I need to do something but no sure HELP!

Thanks
    http://www.WoodworkingByErminio.com

Custom Cabinetry, Furniture ,CNC Services
    Email:Wberminio@msn.com
    914-666-8746 Shop/Office

There is no doubt that the Gecko 203 is an improvement over the 202 in some areas. That being said the G202 is a solid performer and I have had them in my board for years. If I had one burn out I would replace them with the 203's assuming the bucks were handy. Other than that there is no strong reason to change. With my 202 based board, USB hub, 6 year old PRT geared motors, and the PRS style rebuild I am jogging at 8ips and cutting halfway through 3/4" substrates at 3.5ips with a 5mm bit. IMHO a stock PRS standard should have similar performance. Tweaking the heck out of making sure everything is perfectly square, level, and plumb is critical.
    Gary has a great article in his SB musings column regarding the PRS gantry adjustments. First and foremost is dead parallel z rails the correct distance apart in all locations. On mine I learned that a digital level and accurate straight edges were must have tools. I ended up using an aluminum extrusion that was designed for wallpaper cutting that I have used as a dead straight edge for years and I swear by them.

That being said, Ted stated in an earlier thread in response to a similar question that assuming one had a 4G controller the improvement by going to the new RBK would not be worth it.

If you have an older PRT with a 4G board you will not get improved performance by going to any other SB supplied combo except the Alpha upgrade package.

Erminio: since you have a PRS standard the only 2 practical ways you can improve the performance of your machine is either with the Alpha package or a Belt drive/motor package using motors with higher torque than the SB 3.6:1 Standards. I sent you a drawing the other week but have not heard from you. Did you get it?

Hi Dave

Thanks
    I was just curios about options.
    I'll check my email.I've been busy looking at work(good thing-I hope!will pay for upgrade)
    I be in touch soon

Erminio

914-666-8746 Shop/Office

Hi Dave,

Can I get access to the information about improve my machine performance, I also have a PRS standar and the same problems Jimmy had before, I was thinking in get the G203 drives but if there is the posibility to get better motors I will do that too.
    I realy apreciate any help on this, my motors specs are as follows:

Model..........A6497-9412KTG
    0.5" step
    SB296-2TH3.6
    4.39 HOMS

Thanks in advance for the info.

German.

German:
    If you have the same rough issues as Jimmy then you must first determine if you have a bad driver. That issue will clear up with a good driver just like a rough running engine will run smooth if the problem is a fouled spark plug that is replaced. Erminio is talking about improving the performance of a standard that is in good running condition. I will be updating the thread that Erminio provided the link to in a couple of days with some new information. In the meantime I would suggest you read through it so you have a feeling for what it is about.

German
    Hope all is well in Red Hook Brooklyn!
    I believe we have the same machine/same issues!
    Dave has been working hard to get this all together.
    Keep in touch!

Erminio

914-666-8746 Shop/Office