Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Link tool path settings

Default Link tool path settings

Hi all,

I recently completed my first ecabinets kitchen. 47 sheets of pre finished maple. Although everything fit together fairly well I would say that there is tuning to be done.

Here is what I need some help with: note I am using a HSD 2.2hp, .25 compression bit cutting around 4.5 ips, +/- 1 ips or so depending on the part size or operation

1- Dados- is there a way to make these cuts in 2 passes or more? I currently have a .5" dado doing it in 1 pass at full dado depth of .375. I believe these are being in climb, leaving somewhat bumpy uneven wavy cuts.

2- Tenons- These are cut first in one pass in climb (a single rotation of the channel is being cut, so down then back), which is followed by the outline cut in climb as well. I'm cutting almost all the way through in climb. The final pass is done in conventional at full depth. The issue is that the final pass only goes around the outline and NOT back over the tenon. So again I have a bumpy wavy cut which is visible when joined to the cabinet sides.

3- Material thickness- Before the twd file is produced you have the option of changing the material thickness. I have 3/4" ply around .72-.74, 1/2" ply around .46 to .49. This is Columbia Pure Bond with this much variation. I think some of my joints were under sized due to these variances. Is there a general rule to go be here? I can't mic each sheet, then have to reload an entire job... What is the best way to handle variances between sheets?

Many thanks..
    Attached Images Attached Images

John,

Mortise and tenons do not use the outline settings when cutting. What you will have to do to get multiple passes on these is to change the max penitration for the operation tool. If you set it to .25, it will make multiple passes that only remove .25 of material at a time. You cannot change the direction on the final pass though. Generally you take the average of the materials' thickness and then use this with a .015 or higher fit clearance. Hopefully other shopbot users chime in to give you their experiences.

John...
    I will add acouple things to what Daniel says.

1) You can set Max pen to less for your rout/dado operation, but I would try a test cut at 120ipm first. Lower your RPM to around 10K. I have had better luck cutting dados in conventional direction. Lower the fit clearance

2) Setting from above will improve these cuts also.

3) Like Daniel says you should use an average. I mic part edges from the interior of the sheet and use a low average. In your case, and assuming those were interior not edge measurements, I would use .725 and .49. Easier to hit a couple tight ones with a block than look at loose fits. The variation you describe is pretty normal. Partial depth blind dados were designed to minimize the ill effects of plywood variations.

If you use the above settings and your dado cuts are still wavy, you need to check and tighten up the roller adjustments, pinions/rack of the X, Y and Z.

Have you tried setting dado cut direction to conventional?

If I understand you correctly, you are able to change direction of the final pass, allowing it to travel the same or opposite as the first passes. You may want to decrease the max pen and slow down the speeds for the outline pass, as 1/4" bits deflect agood amount.

The outline and tenon are cutting correctly as you describe. Your problem lies in deflection, either bit or machine, when cutting the dados.

Slow your machine down and make it cut good. Then, and only then increase speeds.
    Gary Campbell
    GCnC Control
    GCnC411(at)gmail(dot)com
    Servo Controller Upgrades
    http://www.youtube.com/user/Islaww1

"We can not solve our problems with the same level of thinking that created them"
    Albert Einstein

John
    I have a question do you mind me asking the size of your kitchen

Or show me the plan I.am curios of yield of sheets seems high

I am still on the fence with the link I would understand if you dont want your plan on the internet

My e-mail claptop@eastlink.ca

Thanks in advance Kevin

Kevin-

How can the yield seem high if you have not seen the kitchen plan? Are you doubting that 47 sheets can go in a kitchen? What can say it adds up fast..

Kevin...
    Dont question the yield from eCabs and the Link. As good as any I have seen.

We have the ability to rotate grain (by 45*) to increase if needed. Also a good number of cutting aids to get especially small parts cut well. Parametric settings for Tabs, speed reductions and one click added parts spacing etc. Dont sit on the fence. Nothing under $20K is even close to equal.
    Gary Campbell
    GCnC Control
    GCnC411(at)gmail(dot)com

"We can not solve our problems with the same level of thinking that created them"
    Albert Einstein

I am curios not being a crtic or trying to step on toes

Will share my resuts

Sorry for any typos

Kevin...
    We didnt think you were. You can try this for only a time investment. D/L eCabs and the SB Link Make a batch job using the included standard cabinets. Use the nest button in eCabs to see how it lays parts on a sheet(s). Make a TWD (cnc job) file. Open it in the Link. You can do/see whatever you wish, but cut. All free.

If you play and like what you see, you will learn. After you learn some ask the guys here for more. You can decide to buy the Link only after you like what you see.
    Gary Campbell
    GCnC Control
    GCnC411(at)gmail(dot)com

Albert Einstein

Gary

I'am finishing learning the indexer

I want to be more stream lined to have my employees do drawings and just send to the cnc

I.ve fined tuned cabinets parts pro but you have to know cabinets .There is more chance of operator eror .

My question is how long to give or take e-cabinet can be put in to production .Is e-cabinet can be prone to opertor error
    I know the rendering takes years

http://www.talkshopbot.com/forum/showthread.php?t=12425

That kitchen I used 24 sheets with the draws

Kevin...
    IF you build a viable seed library of the types of cabinets you wish to build (or you can outsource this), then an employee could select a cabinet from this folder and place it into a batch.

Batch entry allows resizing, so the employee could resize and set the quantity, for each and all cabinets placed in the batch job. When all cabinets are in the batch, save job, press CNC button, adjust material thickness if needed, and you are ready to open in SB Link and cut.

There is no need to spend more than a few minutes to batch a job going out the the ShopBot.
    Gary Campbell
    GCnC Control
    GCnC411(at)gmail(dot)com

Albert Einstein