Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hard finish for HDU

Default Hard finish for HDU

I am looking for a 'hard' finish for a 3D routed HDU sign. I am worried that the snow plows will do too much damage to it this winter. Any suggestions?

thanks,
    Jen

Try either "Apoxie", or "Magic Sculpt". Google both for details...
    "Share your knowledge. It is a way to achieve immortality"...The Dalai Lama

"Nothing is really work unless you would rather be doing something else....." Sir James Barrie

This might work too,...not sure. http://www.styrocrete.com/
    Official Cartoonist for the Atlanta Falcons

http://www.flickr.com/photos/mark_tucker52/

Jennifer,

Perhaps HDU isn't the best choice.

I try to get around it when there's any structural requirements. It's way too expensive, deliclate and doesn't like bolts or scrrews. The problem with epoxy as a hard topcoats is doesn't accept paints well without preperation. It's very hard and paint doesn't stick without coaxing.

My favorite hardcoat is High Build Primer. This primer sets up in minutes and is good for most any kind of paint. It will need to be sprayed on but that isn't much of a problem with a cheap little "Critter" spray gun. $49.00.

All of that said, white PVC is often overlooked for signs. Brand names like Centra and Komatex are realily available and much cheaper than HDU. I'd suggest the one inch material. Most paint cover well with primers..

Joe Crumley
    www.normansignco.com

Well as usual, Joe has cut right to the chase. If you don't HAVE to use HDU, PVC would be the way to go! Just be sure to use up-spiral bits when milling.

I'm also quiet fond of a double flute strait bit when cutting out letters from 1/2" PVC. It leaves all the shavings behind. There isn't any need for a vacuum or bridges.

Mark or anyone else wishes to contact me, my current email address is:

jcrumley1@cox.net

I think joe is in the know and always is as you know.

but if you have the doe 30lb hdu would take a good blow.

http://www.imaginationcorporation.ca/
    dan SAWATZKY has been using 30 lb to get tougher hdu.

i am trying to study what he writes when i have time.

but Joe always thinks out of the box or he has a bigger box to think in.
    i agree with his evaluation and solution.

Quote Originally Posted by joe View Post
    Jennifer,

My favorite hardcoat is High Build Primer. This primer sets up in minutes and is good for most any kind of paint. It will need to be sprayed on but that isn't much of a problem with a cheap little "Critter" spray gun. $49.00.

All of that said, white PVC is often overlooked for signs. Brand names like Centra and Komatex are realily available and much cheaper than HDU. I'd suggest the one inch material. Most paint cover well with primers..

Joe Crumley
    www.normansignco.com
    I thought pvc moved too much outside in the sun? How thin do you have to thin things down for the critter sprayer? I have a gravity fed sprayer that works well for wood type finishes but paint needs too much thinning.

Quote Originally Posted by knight_toolworks View Post
    I thought pvc moved too much outside in the sun?
    It will if the PVC is too thin and especially if it is painted in dark colors. It will bow up and warp in the sun. However, the thicker products, 3/4" and up, if properly mounted and secured, will hold up fine in the heat regardless of the colors painted. Using 1" thick is good insurance for a routed sign of size..

The one draw back to PVC is that it is just about impossible to sand away any annoying tool marks from the router bit(s). Nobody likes to sand anyway, and there are ways around this problem if tool marks are an issue, like using a textured paint to obscure the tool marks. Sometimes it's a problem, and sometimes not.

30lb HDU is a viable option but it's EXPENSIVE. My local supplier doesn't stock it but it can be had by special order.
    Last edited by tuck; 05-08-2011 at 10:18 PM.

Dick,

Thanks for the kind complements.

Dan is an accomplished cartoon sign artists. One the best self promoters specializing in "Steam Punk" art. For those not familiar with this movement, it came from the Jules Vern's “Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Sea”. Everything in that world operated off of steam boilers.

Everyone on this forum, whether they know it or not, are at the forefront of new and developing opportunities. Having a CNC is like having a cocked and loaded Bazooka. But you should point it in the right direction. Defining markets is the name of the game. It's not just about skill or knowledge of equipment. You've should identify a marketable target and go in that direction.

This is such a fun business and opportunities are open for those who choose the right path.

Joe Crumley
    www.normansignco.com
    Last edited by joe; 05-08-2011 at 05:12 PM.