Thread: Power differance "spindle"

Default Power differance "spindle"

I am getting ready to get a HSD spindle from SB and have a question...

I am looking to get the 2.2hp 220v single phase one versus the 4hp.

How is the power compared to my PC head beings the advertised number is lower than the PC router.. I know the power stays more solid though-out rpm ranges...

My type of cutting really dosen't tax my PC head for touque but I am looking for better Run-out and less noise of course...

Thank You
    PRS Standard 96x48 2.2 HSD
    Plastics is my thing....

You will get your wishes. The PC HP is determined at no-load speeds. Spindles maintain that HP Via the VFC. The specs on the shafts and colletts are far superior as well.
    I will, however, suggest that you get the gutsiest spindle you can afford. The HSD 4 to me, is the minimum spindle for any larger bot unless your entire cutting material is foam.
    Others may now argue!!

Adam...
    The 2.2 HSD will have substantailly greater power. The discrepancy is in the way the router's HP is rated. Theoretical HP.

In other words, at perfect voltage, in a vacuum, with no friction and no load, the PC could theoretically produce that much. But they dont. And the power decreases as RPM decreases. And they lose the ability to hold that power when loaded.

Spindle is only quieter than router when not cutting. Most noise is generated from the bit. So, a lightly loaded bit is quieter. But, cutting a light load, or 3D file with a router is very noisy.

I agree with Dave. Get the biggest hoss you can afford, and let er eat!
    Gary Campbell
    GCnC Control
    GCnC411(at)gmail(dot)com
    Servo Controller Upgrades
    http://www.youtube.com/user/Islaww1

"We can not solve our problems with the same level of thinking that created them"
    Albert Einstein

I just recently got mine and went with the 4HP spindle. I don't regret it a bit. That thing has scary amounts of torque. I didn't zero it once and send it through two sheets of MDF (1.5" total) at 10 ips and plunged to the hilt, and made it nearly a foot and a half before the bit snapped, and then the stub pulled the clamps loose.

That motor never even changed freq.

I have a whole new respect for it now. It'll run much faster through material than I have guts to do quite yet. Go for it.

Cabinets Plus of Augusta, Hephzibah Ga 30815

I run a 3 hp columbo spindle on my bot and cut 3/4 cabinet grade pine , birch, maple and oak plywood at 6 ips full depth with a 2+2 compression bit . It dont even grunt .

Quote Originally Posted by bleeth View Post
    The HSD 4 to me, is the minimum spindle for any larger bot unless your entire cutting material is foam.
    Others may now argue!!
    I've got the 2.2 on a PRSAlpha 8x4. I don't feel the need for anything bigger than that. It ploughs through everything I put in front of it without complaint.

Thanks for all the input guys,

I ordered the 2.2 kit from shopbot and it should be here next week....

Adam
    PRS Standard 96x48 2.2 HSD
    Plastics is my thing....

You will be happy with the 2.2 I have both the 2.2 spindle and a pc router the spindle is more powerfull.

I just finished up installing the 2.2 spindle in my Buddy. I debated trying to buy the components and install them myself versus the "kit" from Shopbot. I went SB and am quite happy that I did.

Chris at Shopbot had to do a little hand holding and was really helpful in getting it running.

Make sure that you have the very latest version of the operating system installed and also the latest post processor if you are using PartWorks.

Even at that you are going to need a relay installed if you want the computer to stop and start the spindle for you. There is a simple schematic on line to do this and Rat Shack actually had the parts in stock. I am going out to the shop right now to put it together and have the final detail completed.