Thread: Collected My New Buddy Today!

Default Collected My New Buddy Today!

I collected my new Buddy today from the ShopBot booth at the end of the Maker Faire in San Mateo, just up the San Francisco peninsula a short distance from Santa Clara, CA, where my 'shop is.

I saved a hunk of change by having them ship it to the Maker Faire direct (i.e free shipping for me!), letting them use it for the show and then picking it up in my big ole truck at the end of the show! Another added benefit was that it was already perfectly set up and run in.....I know it's going to work flawlessly right off the bat in my 'shop. It was a distinct pleasure to meet Ted, Martha, Bill, et al from ShopBot, as well as the Vectric guys from my old homeland, England.

FWIW, I bought a PRSalpha BT48 with a 4HP spindle and an 8' power stick plus most of the accessories. Now I have to shuffle things around in my 'shop to make proper space for it, and then get stuck into learning everything about it! I plan to use it mainly to streamline my guitar making efforts (inlay, neck making, etc.) but I'm sure I will find all kinds of other fun things to do/make with it!

I look forward to "meeting" y'all on the forum and hopfully I won't bug you with too many inept questions!

Cheers for now,
    Dave F.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Get a throw cover for that organ in the background! Even with a dust collector you will create dust.

Good luck, and congratulations!

D
    "The best thing about building something new is either you succeed or learn something. Its a win-win situation."

--Greg Westbrook

You sure got a nice one! I know you are thrilled. Good luck,.... joe

Default Dust?

Your bot creates dust. If there was a market for dust i would be rich.

Default First Test Project Done!!

Yay! I just got done making my first ever ShopBot project and cut it successfully. It took just shy of 43 mins to v-carve a small 8" x 4" sign of my guitar making logo. I used a piece of scrap phenolic-faced plywood, so the background isn't all that, but it's just a test piece anyway, so it really doesn't matter how good it looks, right?

It came out pretty much just like the 3D preview in PartWorks. I guess I shouldn't be too surprised......you guys have collectively done thousands of projects sans problems before I came along! I have attached a couple of pictures of it. Nothing remarkable, but to me it's a work of art!!

I still have to run my dust collection ducting across the ceiling and down to the SB - a job for tomorrow perhaps.

Cheers for now,
    Dave F.
    Attached Images Attached Images

keep that sign and look back at it in a few years to judge your progress.

BTW- I thought it was spelled "GEE-tars"
    good luck