Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Router cord question

Now that I've had a few days with the machine I'm feeling pretty foolish. Yes the router cord goes through the cord chain, and there are even zip tie holders already installed on the rail to secure the cord to. I also realized that I could use mini bungees to strap my dust collection hose to the metal upright on the back of the Z car.

No reason to feel foolish. I bet you will be making changes in the layout of stuff for a long time until you get it situated the way you want it.

I am not real happy with the supplied dust shoe. Not performance wise so much but I have large hands and I find it really hard to operate that thumb screw. I ordered the Kent Shoe yesterday. While reading thru posts about the Kent I saw that someone had acquired an extra bracket for the other side, to support the hose on the Kent. That gave me more ideas. I know mine will be going thru some changes.

The router cord in the e track works out real good. I think Shopbot is a first rate company but wish they could better document the setup and options. Maybe they don't because there are so many different situations possible.

Robert I have a bit of difficulty with the thumbscrew as well- I am thinking of removing it and putting a spring-catch in it's place. Otherwise I am beyond happy with the investment - the first pieces of a new sign job are going into the bot tonight

If you come up with a spring catch I am sure there will be a bunch of people in the ShopBot community interested in that.

You beat me, first job out. I am still just making me happy. And I smile every time I see that thing running. What fun.

Bob

Default Thumb Screw

Hi Robert / Brian,

I had the same problem as you guys are having with the thumb screw.

My solution, very early on, was to get a length of pipe, say 6 - 8 inches long, cut a slot in the end wide enough for the thumbscrew wings and then weld a short handle across the other end in the same direction as the slot. works like a charm. Painted mine green, did not have any blue laying around.

Will attach a couple of photos, I hope.

Regards,
    Roger.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Ingenious, thanks for that. I will try that out until my new dust shoe gets here.

Thank you,

Bob

Brian,
    your description is exactly why i took my dust shoe off and only use dust collection when cuting mdf.

The dust collection is louder then my router. I have gotten so i cut stuff till way after midnite and close the doors. its like a muffled hum usually no louder then your airconditioning unit outside.

If i'm 3d carving i'll go all nite with no fear of waking anyone.

Doesn't that get kind of messy? I will try it out tonight. All my stuff is in an attached garage. If I go in the house I never have been able to hear the dust collector. I haven't had the bot long enough to try it. I will!