Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Source for reflective Mylar?

Default Source for reflective Mylar?

I'm working on ideas for a solar water heater for my hot tub and i'm getting a old water heater to strip and use the tank for storage within a box that will have a mylar backing to reflect the sunlight onto the tank within a box i'm designing on the bot.

Has anyone ever designed anything like this?, advice would be appreciated. I'm learning from youtube videos. If you have suggestions for mylar suppliers or other parts would be great.
    Last edited by myxpykalix; 05-26-2011 at 02:15 AM.

Jack, I buy Mylar from http://www.mirrorsheeting.com - they have a nice selection and the material is good quality - I'm using it for a spherical section mirror.

g.

Ya gotta watch the heat with the mylar. It can get mighty hot in there & melt the mylar film.

Studies have shown that white is nearly as effective as mylar for solar reflectivity. Just something to consider.

-B
    High Definition 3D Laser Scanning Services - Advanced ShopBot CNC Training and Consultation - Vectric Custom Video Training IBILD.com

The version I have seen is just a plywood box, with a Plexiglas top. The hot water heater was painted black, and placed inside. It gets used for an out door shower, and the water temp gets up to about 120 degrees in the summer.
    Michael Schwartz - Waitsfield VT
    Shopbot prs standard 48x96. Aspire. SB Link.

Brady,
    I'll keep that in mind. I'm going to be experimenting with different avenues on this.

One is where i just heat up a big tub of water in the tank and the other is where water runs thru a series of tubes and with "parabolic reflection" (?) the water is heated up and circulated.

I hope to be able to hook the system up so that it circulates into and out of the hot tub.

If that doesn't work i'll just set a big pot on a wood fire, throw some carrots in and like Elmer Fudd, hope Bugs Bunny jumps in...
    "eh...whatcha cookin, Doc...? Rabbit stew...
    (come on, i know you old guys are laughing right now...)

Jack,
    Saving $$$ on heat isn't funny at all. It is the bane of all construction related craftsmen...

I take it you've been here & sniffed around: http://www.builditsolar.com/Projects...er_heating.htm

-B
    High Definition 3D Laser Scanning Services - Advanced ShopBot CNC Training and Consultation - Vectric Custom Video Training IBILD.com

Come on Brady, you didn't think i was serious about the pot of water under the fire? lol I should have used this icon afterwards

I had not seen that link you supplied so i'll check that out, thanks for that one.
    I have looked at several different methods for heating, things from "evacuated tubes" to things as simple as a rolled up coil of copper tubing.

I have some extra pumps from jacuzzi tubs and other things and guess the best way to try to make this work is with a semi "closed loop" system where the water goes in to the heating element gets heated up, drains to the hot tub then water is sucked out reheated, recirculated.

I have to figure out a way to cycle the water thru the system.

Cabinets Plus of Augusta, Hephzibah Ga 30815

Does that mean there aint gonna be no rabbit stew?

I knew you were kiddin about that part

I'm sure everyone would agree - paying for heat in the dead of Winter just plain sucks...I estimate I saved about $3500 last year with the wood stove. I burned thru about 4 cords and only used about 20 gal of oil. A few days of cutting standing dead and splitting is money in the bank.

I looked into many of these solar projects during the Winter. I don't have time to fab anything yet, but will be doing a BIG trombe wall for the barn & some kind of solar water heater for the basement heat. We don't really go thru that much hot water, so all efforts would be for space heating.

-B

"but will be doing a BIG trombe wall" What is that?

I IDEALLY would like to make a system that was big enough to heat my basement like you also. That is where the "Mancave" is so the big screen and lazyboy and my popcorn maker, ect but in the winter time the floor is so cold i'd love to retrofit some kind of radiant heat also.