Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Video Clips

Default Video Clips

Greetings Everyone,

I'm getting ready to take a stab at making a few video clips on sign making. I'm wanting to place them on YouTube. This is my first venture with this media and not sure how difficult it will be. The major advantage is the ability to show, in real time, routing and finishing techniques. It seems like a natural progression.

It's amazing how much time it takes to write copy, take photo's and post them online. Perhaps this will be a better way.

I'd appreciate any tips and techniques. I've purchased the "I phone" in hopes it will be of assistance. One of the advantages is has some basic editing ability and it posts directly to YouTube.

Thanks for your thoughts.

Joe Crumley
    www.normansignco.com

Joe - I can't give any help on using Youtube, but I am definitely interested in seeing any video that you make. Thanks for all your help past and present.

Quote Originally Posted by blackhawk View Post
    Joe - I can't give any help on using Youtube, but I am definitely interested in seeing any video that you make. Thanks for all your help past and present.
    Ditto for my reply.

Phhil

Arrow Basics of cinematography:

If you can....shoot from a tripod.
    and remember to pan slooowly, zoom slowly.

Fill your frame with useful information.
    The object of our attention is not necessarily in the center of the screen.

Thanks fellows,

I'm looking forward to this adventure.

David. Thanks for the suggestions, I keep them in mind. For these little clips I intend on setting up my Iphone on a tripod. Get it all ligned up and push the start button and charge out front. I have no one to pan, start and stop, or zoom. It's a low budget Disney type production.

Later on I'll have a couple of dancing girls in the background to keep everyone awake.

Joe Crumley
    www.normansignco.com

Smile dancing girls

With your knowledge and expertise I doubt there will be a need for any danicing girls ! Thanks for sharing your knowledge. I will watch for the link! Don

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fOpgL4mqEis

All in fun, Joe! The old song just came to mind. We're all looking forward to the clips!
    Official Cartoonist for the Atlanta Falcons

http://www.flickr.com/photos/mark_tucker52/

Joe,
    As someone who has worked in both movies and television both in front of and behind the camera I can give you some good tips if you need them.

I won't go thru all of them here but if you need specific help I would be glad to help.

A few tips though.

Pre production prep is key- Write your script with bullet points and stick to it. Don't drone on about things that are not relevent. I use the "Joe Friday method"...you know. "Just the facts, ma'am, just the facts"

Have some cue cards made up so you can go to each point and not forget anything

Also have examples of each segment pre-prepared. Like they do on the cooking shows.
    Here's how to make the pie, and here we put it in the oven and "WA-LA" here is the finished product.

By doing some of these things it will keep you from having to do a lot of post production editing, retakes or inserts. What will keep you interested in continuing this is if you can just run thru it without spending hours editing.

Another tip- At the end of segments or where you want to edit, when you are done speaking give yourself a visual cue that, that is a stopping point by doing something like the "fingers across the neck" cut cue so that you can run your video in fast speed to your end point and stop when you see that instead of having to watch it in real time to hear the end of the audio.

yeah..."act naturally"

Default Windows movie maker

There are expensive programs out there that you can make movies with or you can use the one that came with windows. I am just now learning it. But you can do so much with it. If you are showing your machine running, we all know what a loud router sounds like so dub over it with narration. If you need to take several clips you can join them into one. You can shorten clips to make long cutting look much shorter. you can add still pictures at any point in the video

I am still a rookie with this software but its pretty cool. If you decide to use it and need some help feel free to contact me but remember I am just learning it to. there is nothing educational about my video but i was showing some guys in Houston what it looked like. this video was about five short clips and you can tell i did not take my advise and tried to talk over the machine.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zNJww8xFAdE

Sounds like a winner - videos from the best. Looking forward to watching and learning.