Thread: Vintage Wooden Spoon Wall Rack - FREE Project

Hybrid View

Default Vintage Wooden Spoon Wall Rack - FREE Project

Hello,

Here is the latest project I created (May/June 2011), and is available as a free download, courtesy of Vectric! http://www.vectric.com/WebSite/Vectr...spoon_rack.htm

The project was inspired by a 100+ year-old, hand chip-carved silver spoon holder wall rack of Dutch (Frisian) origin. This near-replica project can be enjoyed by VCarve Pro owners and Aspire owners alike (Aspire 3 and VCarve Pro 6 at the time of this writing). The overall finished dimensions of the assembled project are about ¾” D x 9" W x 12" H.

It is important to use a very sharp V-bit and a close-grained hardwood for this project, as it features many narrowly spaced and delicate V-carves. The sample was made from Maple. Equally important is to verify your CNC table surface is completely flat before running the project!

• I created the vectors in VCarve Pro 6, then calculated the toolpaths, etc. I used a ShopBot PRSAlpha BT48 to run this project and the toolpath settings were specifically for that machine and bits I used.

• The existing toolpaths on the Vintage_Spoon_Rack.crv file include repeating the main V-Carve tooling to yield the cleanest result. Of course, this means the project will take about twice as long to run, but for me, the improvement of the finished product is worth the extra time. Also, you will notice my own Feed and Plunge rates are set really low at only 0.5" per second. This is intentional, as I found that faster feed rates may tend to cause excessive chipout on delicate v-carves, and these feed/plunge rates are my “sweet-spot” for a near-perfect carve on the Maple wood I used.

I used the following bits:
    Main V-Carves: 60° V-Bit *
    Cut Profiles: 1/4" Down-Cut Spiral

* a CMT-brand “laser-point” 60° V-Bit was used to create the sample

Apply your choice of finish. Here’s what I used on the sample “Vintage Spoon Rack” project made from Maple:

• Minwax Natural stain #209
    • Minwax Colonial Maple stain #223
    (applied 10 minutes after Natural stain)
    • 4 coats of Krylon Crystal Clear Gloss Acrylic spray
    • One coat water-based Zinsser Bulls Eye Ultimate Polyurethane Satin(brushed on)

I hope you enjoy the project. Thanks to ShopBot and Vectric for providing us with such wonderful tools!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thank you very much for making this available. It is really beautiful and I'm going to try and work it in to the work schedule.
    Don
    Diamond Lake Custom Woodworks, LLC
    www.dlwoodworks.com
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in one pretty and well preserved piece; But to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, worn out, bank accounts empty, credit cards maxed out, defiantly shouting "Geronimo"!

If you make something idiot proof, all they do is create a better idiot.