Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Running Shopbot on a Mac

Default Running Shopbot on a Mac

I'm switching back to Apple since the power plug on my Toshiba has broken and went inside the case. I'm thinking of using Parallels so I can run my Shopbot software. I am wondering what others are using on their Apples to allow the use of Windows/Shopbot software.

I tried with a virtual machine using VMWare Fusion and it didn't work. I think that the control software handles things like the system timer and the comm port at a very low level. And it was too slow.

I would suggest BootCamp because it is a windows instance running directly over the hardware.

right bootcamp is the only way you can do it. macs are too spendy to run a shopbot with,.

I bought a copy of Parallels and it works --- but!

Disk access, saving programs, transferring between Mac and IBM are really difficult. Laptops are so cheap that you can buy one brand new for just about twice what a copy of parallels will cost.

Dyslexia kickin' in....I thought the title read 'Running over a Mac with a Shopbot'

PCs & laptops are dirt cheap. A quick browse on CL and you'll find more than you can shake a stick at.

When it comes to driving the SB - this isn't a place to dare to be different.

-B
    High Definition 3D Laser Scanning Services - Advanced ShopBot CNC Training and Consultation - Vectric Custom Video Training IBILD.com

Wink

Hope you spelled dyslexia right Brady, First glance I thought it was 'running over shopbot with a mach'

I had to check the spelling

Nah...I'll take my plug-n-play laptop USB interface over that 1970 interface technology

Hey...whatever works for ya is the "right" interface, right?

-B
    High Definition 3D Laser Scanning Services - Advanced ShopBot CNC Training and Consultation - Vectric Custom Video Training IBILD.com

Default Mac

Those are some interesting answers. Where would we be with out spell check.

If you run Parallels make sure to max out your ram. 2-3GB is not enough. Partworks ran ok on my first generation Macbook. If you want to do this for design software it is worth a try. Otherwise I agree with the other posts that your better off going with windows system to control the Shopbot.

Get a good lower cost PC to run the ShopBot. Spend a little bit more if you have to. Make sure you do it right the first time. I am using a refurbished dell optiplex right now but I am planning on switching it out for a gaming PC I built a few years ago. While it is overkill, I know it will be far more reliable than the Dell. You don't need anything fancy to run the shopbot, but you also don't want to control a $14,000 piece of equipment with the cheapest PC you can find. Avoid low cost peripherals that come bundled with refurbs. Throw them away and buy a name brand keyboard and mouse. I had a whole slew of USB problems caused by a cheap USB keyboard.

I used to run partworks via parallels. I ended up buying a $400.00 Dell laptop when I bought Aspire since that was beyond what my older macbook could handle. The Dell is ok but I wouldn't buy another. Then again I am not really sure if you could do better with any of the other brands. With laptops you get what you pay for. For now I have to satisfy my apple needs with my iPhone.

As far as desktops up to a certain price point your better buying new, or refurbished. I prefer to build my own systems but when you can buy a low end PC for the same price as a retail copy of windows 7, building one is not practical. However any more than $500 or so building your own is the only way to go as far as I am concerned. I just like to build computers though
    Michael Schwartz - Waitsfield VT
    Shopbot prs standard 48x96. Aspire. SB Link.

Talking

Brady,Touche' on the laptop...But the 1970's tech and a higher voltage power supply make the old vexta's (4 wire)do things people only dream of..