Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Flip Ops

Default Flip Ops

Well since I had so much success with Pocket Screws now it is time to explore the final frontier for me in my use of the Link (for now) . I am looking into making closet parts and the link is ideally suited for getting a custom part without the swiss cheese effect seen on factory parts . I am looking for some guidance on where to get info on how to use them and what things I need to consider before attempting them . Any tips on where to get info and things to watch out for would be appreciated . I currently don't use any alignment system on my table when setting up a new sheet . Is this sort of thing a must when doing this type of thing ?

Thanks in advance , Bill

Gary - If these are demonstrated in clear detail perhaps your video's are the way to go . Are you still selling those ?
    Last edited by bill_lumley; 06-15-2011 at 06:21 PM.

Bill...
    If you look over the manual in the current version (18) you have 2 options.

In the first individual parts are flipped and cut one at a time. You will need to have printed labels in order to have the numbers for the flips. In lieu of applied labels a regular sheet off the printer will allow you to type in the "ROxxxx" number.

The second is "FlipOps First". This method machines the back side of the sheet, cuts registry locations, and then prompts you to flip the sheet over for the balance of the machining.

Both work very well, but it is VERY important to have a registry system to properly orient the part or sheet for the flip. These are easiest set at 0 in both the X & Y, but an "el" shaped locator can be used, if the proper offsets are added. Check my column for more info if you want to use this option.

Check out the manual, and get back here is you have anymore questions. I have info on the flipops in the video, but I am temporarily holding them to add both the flipops first and possible new features.

Look over the manual, there are a few good threads in this forum on Flips also. Get back here or call if you need more info.
    Gary Campbell
    GCnC Control
    GCnC411(at)gmail(dot)com
    Servo Controller Upgrades
    http://www.youtube.com/user/Islaww1

"We can not solve our problems with the same level of thinking that created them"
    Albert Einstein

Bill,

I learned the hard way that if you are going to do Flip Ops (as opposed to individual parts) you must set up the Flip Ops First parameters properly. You will notice there is an option to Trim Sheet. CHECK THIS BOX! Then select the method you want to trim the sheet so that it will register correctly when you turn it over. I use the Pin Area Only option and have 2 X-Axis pins set up on my machine to register the material. I don't have a pin on the Y-Axis - I use a v-groove in the spoil board. Even though you are not forced to select the Trim Sheet, you need to do this otherwise your parts won't register properly when you flip the sheet. Don't ask how I know this....
    Don
    Diamond Lake Custom Woodworks, LLC
    www.dlwoodworks.com
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in one pretty and well preserved piece; But to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, worn out, bank accounts empty, credit cards maxed out, defiantly shouting "Geronimo"!

If you make something idiot proof, all they do is create a better idiot.

Don...
    By the way, I cut 7 sheets of "Black Box" melamine today. 3 of these were FlipOp First. Other than tossing 85 lb sheets over on the table, I thought it was painless. The only change to the parameters we talked about on the phone would be to bring the trim amount up to .100 -.125" as I have more variation in the sheets than I thought.

Bill...
    Don is right. If you use the feature you need to check the trim sheet box. I also use the pins only option having 3 pins in the X and 1 in the Y. If you dont select pin area only, the Link will trim the complete X and Y zero sides to allow location on the table. You could line this up with a cut edge, or V groove like Don.

Good Luck!
    Gary Campbell
    GCnC Control
    GCnC411(at)gmail(dot)com

"We can not solve our problems with the same level of thinking that created them"
    Albert Einstein

I am looking into a registry system similar to what Gary shows in his column but I am wondering do I need to be that fancy . Can I just create an 'L' along the X and Y axis that is used to register a sheet . Today all my cutting is full sheets(except when I put a scrap at 0,0 to cut a single part) and my Link paramaters are set for a collar so I will never cut into an edge on my board . I was thinking I could use an aluminum extrusion with a 90 degree bend to form the registry line for each axis . Does this make sense ?

Thanks Bill

P.S. because my edge would be aluminum if I did cut into it by mistake it woudln't be the end of the world

Bill...
    I may have a tendency to not go for the most simple of solutions. (Here is where you say "Ya Think??")

Aluminum will work, so would wood. Even better if you cut it with the machine to insure accuracy. What is important is that it is accurate, and can stay that way for subsequent sheets. You can use a solid "el" or blocks.

This falls under the "many ways to skin a cat" category. Post a pic of your solution for others.
    Gary Campbell
    GCnC Control
    GCnC411(at)gmail(dot)com

Albert Einstein

Bill,

I put in a very simple indexing system on my table. I will take pictures tomorrow and post them here. It is really high tech using a block of wood and dowels and holes.
    Don
    www.dlwoodworks.com
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in one pretty and well preserved piece; But to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, worn out, bank accounts empty, credit cards maxed out, defiantly shouting "Geronimo"!

Here you go Bill.

Down the X axis I have several locations where I can put these blocks. I got the exact location where the left end of the block goes by v-carving a shallow line. I then drilled the holes along the side and built the blocks and put in dowels and sanded them so the fit is quite snug. It has worked really well so far.

My plenum (with the holes) is baltic birch not MDF. My thinking is that MDF might be too soft and the holes could increase in size from inserting and removing the pin blocks.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Don
    www.dlwoodworks.com

Don...
    Sweet & Simple!

Bill...
    Once those locator block are in place, all that is left to do is enter their location into the Link and select how much to trim. Then start flipping sheets.

Unless you put a number of them closer to the X=0 end, then the "el" may work better for individual FlipOp parts.
    Gary Campbell
    GCnC Control
    GCnC411(at)gmail(dot)com

Albert Einstein

Default Corrections are possible.

Quote Originally Posted by bill_lumley View Post
    I guess I should have spell checked
    You can even go back into your original post -and Edit!