Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Assembly Table Ideas?

Here are a couple pictures I snapped tonight.

28385.jpg

28386.jpg

Dave - on your top pix it doesn't appear to have an edge or lip. How do you clamp what you are assembling? Do you not fasten it to the work surface? I visited a very nice ShopBot shop yesterday and his tables all had 'T' track in them and he used all kinds of moveable clamps to hold his work. He did mostly sheet work and not much assembly (at least the jobs I saw yesterday). What I will be assembling will be similar to small cabinets so I may not need to actually fasten or clamp them to the table. Thanks a million for taking the time to snap the photos and post them here. I really like the lower height version and especially the extra storage for all those clamps. Russ

Actually the 4" edge above the compartments allows me to use clamps on the edge all the time. I also have long clamps that allow me to clamp to the ends if needed. They go from under the frame to the top. I built my first one with the intentions of installing drawers in the sides. However I started storing things in these slots before I got around to building the drawers. So I just decided to leave them this way. I actually welded 2" square steel frames for below each of these carts. Probably overkill but the carts are very sturdy.

Dave - OK I see the 4 inch edge, good idea. I was just looking at the edge and not the whole structure. That 4 inch would really be strong! The stuff I build will not be all that heavy, but as a previous poster says ya' gotta crawl around on these things from time to time!
    Thanks again. Russ