Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: ShopBot identification

The motors are ASM911AA
    Denny
    Devlin Boats
    www.devlinboat.com
    Olympia, Wa

Those are the original motors and drivers that they came with. They cut ok, but the resolution left you wanting a bettter cut.

It will depend on how clean and acurate of cuts you want to get out of it. If it is not critical, that machine will cut as is. If you want better cuts, it will get expensive.

The upgrade from shopbot was 750 dollars at the time and you got 3 motors and drivers. (both had to be replaced) That was a heck of a deal.

Now for a single motor driver the cost is over 1 thousand.

If you want to upgrade, I have the drivers you need on ebay right now. The motors are still about 450 dollars each new from oriental motor. Shopbot was only selling motor driver combo's the last time I bought one, but I think they may sell motors alone now.

The geared motor is an ASM98AA T7.2 Vexta

Send me an email if you want to visit about it.
    Kenneth

If you want better resolution with what you have, you might consider a belt type reducer. Do a search, some guys have just completed one. Maybe a little more cost effective.

http://www.talkshopbot.com/forum/showthread.php?t=12709

Thats right. Dave was in charge of that project. I think gerald was working on the exact same setup you have to try to add belt reductions.

I have seen an ezrouter with belt boxes and I was not impressed. Maybe they didn't use the kevlar belts?? On that one you could pull the gantry easily by hand about 1/8 inch back and forth.

Dave, Did you ever get them installed?
    Kenneth

Thanks all for helping identify this machine and info on motor upgrades.
    Denny
    Devlin Boats
    www.devlinboat.com
    Olympia, Wa

Denny...
    At some point ShopBot started putting a serial number and mfgr date on a label affixed to the control box. Look and see if there is one on or in the control box.
    Gary Campbell
    GCnC Control
    GCnC411(at)gmail(dot)com
    Servo Controller Upgrades
    http://www.youtube.com/user/Islaww1

"We can not solve our problems with the same level of thinking that created them"
    Albert Einstein

Ken: I held off a bit as there were some other botters who asked for a bit of time to come in on the "first purchase" discount and also to get through a couple projects we were doing. Projects are done and ordering parts now as the "hot to trot" botters got pretty quiet when it came down to time to commit! You shouldn't be able to move the gantry easily by hand-something wasn't right. Might have been a few things. Any other comments on this let's put them in the other thread so as not to hijack!!

Denny: Whether your new machine is right for you or not depends a lot on what you plan to do with it. It is an early Alpha and there was a lot of folks who thought the resolution should be better, particularly since it was better on the standard of the same era. A properly built gearbox is the answer that Mike Richards came up with and it worked well for him. It will get down to what you are using your machine for and what your expectations are.