Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Cribbage Boards

Eric...
    Put some scrap on the table and try this: 1/4 Dn spiral, 10,5000-12K rpm .25 +/- per pass and 2 ips. That should get you some chips, reduce the scream and let your bit live a lot longer.
    Gary Campbell
    GCnC Control
    GCnC411(at)gmail(dot)com
    Servo Controller Upgrades
    http://www.youtube.com/user/Islaww1

"We can not solve our problems with the same level of thinking that created them"
    Albert Einstein

I built one of these 10+ years ago from some plans in ShopNotes magazine.

http://plansnow.com/dn3079c.html

The thing has logged a million miles and works great for sanding edges and any radius that's 2.5" and over. Uses a 6" x 89" belt.

Also picked up a MasterForce Oscillating Spindle Sander from Menards and was pleasantly surprised that it's really pretty decent for $199.
    Scott

Creative Solids, Fairfield Glade Tennessee

Eric,
    thanks for the details - made wooden round solitaire marble games a while back and sanding the edges (cross grain would create fibers) was such a pain and time consumer that i switched to square shape. your stack of boards show no signs of heavy or uneven sanding - nice work

adding to other comments - my wide belt sander (performax 16/32) and bandsaw are probably tied for the tools i could not live without. nothing goes for engraving on the bot before it goes through the surface sander. also have a ryobi spindle sander that is great.

I bought one of the 30 inch drum sander kits from Stockroom Supply and I just love it. I used thier plans on the Bot and made my own box. The unit works terrific and the dust collection is remarkable.

http://www.stockroomsupply.ca/shop/d...c2cbaf9&cat=40

Russ

I just purchased the Delta 18/36 drum sander. Any tips? What grit do you keep/use most often in the sander?

Hey Eric! Beautiful work. Where are you buying the metal pegs from? I have a 38" Wood Master. Great machine. I use the Klingspor 80 grit for flattening and it lasts a surprisingly long time. After that my festool ROS makes quick work with the rest of the grits. It's expensive for a ROS but the dust collection is second to none.
    Last edited by kurt_rose; 06-26-2011 at 11:34 AM.

Thanks for the compliments guys!

This is where I buy my pegs: http://www.petespegs.com/
    Eric Erickson
    Shopbot BT48 Buddy

I like the sales tactics. Sounds like you have a gift for selling people on an idea.

I have one of the rigid sanders as well and its a decent oscillating spindle sander. The oscillating edge/belt sander attachment is interesting but its a bit odd. I would plan to get a disc sander go to along with it as small parts tend to catch on the belt without a stop.

I have an old Powermatic 30 belt disc sander out being restored at the moment, but when I get it back I will primarily leave the ridged setup as a spindle sander.
    Michael Schwartz - Waitsfield VT
    Shopbot prs standard 48x96. Aspire. SB Link.

The finish on the cribbage boards is complete and I delivered the boards to a very happy customer today.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Eric Erickson
    Shopbot BT48 Buddy

Eric
    First I want to tell you thank you for posting the sign process. I was making some, but greatly improved the quality and time learning from your posting.

I build a couple hundred crib boards a year. Fun project and people seem to really like them.

Like Gary pointed out, you may be running your bit to fast - I run my 1/4 down spiral 2 flute end mill bits between 10,000 and 12,000 RPM on most woods, but especially maple and oak. I cut at speeds between 2 ips to 3 ips on most projects. Once in awhile I will slow it down, but if I am worried about accuracy, I cut back on the overlap rather than speed.

Also I quit using felt feet, as the boards slide around. I started using a non-skid rubber pad by Sheppard. You can research 9974 - Sheppard Hardware to find where they are sold. I buy mine from Ron's Home and Hardware, as I can get them about half the price I can find other places. Also I have found them on Amazon.com, but not as inexpensive. I get my metal pegs from Lee Valley Tools. If I buy 100 or more at a time, the price is around 60 cents each and they are nice looking pegs. They carry brass, aluminum and black so I can do 3 player boards. I just need to find the red pegs so I can start building cutthroat boards.

I also put a keyhole in the back. I sold a couple of them to a guy working in Japan and he gave them to a Japanese couple (elderly) he stayed with. They decided they didn't want to learn crib, but wanted to hang them. So I started putting the keyhole in them. People do like them. I also carve my logo in the back and have gotten good comments about that.

Nice work.
    Last edited by butch; 07-12-2011 at 08:51 AM.
    Butch