Thread: A simple sign

Default A simple sign

I've attached the "Before" photo as well as a picture of my first attempt at a simple sign. I admit my sign is fairly weak/trivial but if you compare it to the "Before" photo, I think you'll agree it's a definite upgrade.

It was made as a gift to a local coffee shop that I frequent. They get a lot of flack for the sign in the "Before" shot and liked the new sign.

I also made a version without the little outhouse image but the owner liked the outhouse (she has a good sense of humor).

It hasn't been installed yet because I left painting the letters for the owner. I hadn't yet seen the tip for covering the material before ShopBot'ing so paint would only go into the carved areas. The letters have to either be carefully painted or the finish sanded off to clean up painting mistakes and a new finish applied.

The material is sold by one of the big box stores as stair riser blanks. 7.5" wide by 4' long, 19/32" thick. It was a convenient size and an interesting material.

Drawing file and tool paths available on request. I didn't include them because I can't imagine anybody really wants them…
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hi Tim

Loved the dunny! A very easy way to fill in letters that lasts longer than the sign is to use a pyrography hot iron using a stippling action. Gives a lovely texture toooo! Paint letters and boardvwith clear varnish. Wives love doing pyrography so you can weazle out of doing it as it can take a while.

Bob

Bob,

Great suggestion! I hadn't considered pyrography but can see how it would open lots of options for texture, pattern, etc. I'll have to think a bit on that one.

I expected to be able to easily find clip art for the outhouse for my sign but after spending way too much time staring at results from a Google search, I gave up and sketched something on my own. Figuring out how to do the moon for the door was much easier than I expected and was a critical piece of giving it the right look.

The version I made without the dunny was given larger letters. Which also means they're cut deeper and one of those letters exposed a void in the bamboo. Since the lettering will end up being painted, the void could be puttied and sanded but it would've ruined the piece if the letters were left unpainted.

Tim S.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Eustace View Post
    Hi Tim

Loved the dunny! A very easy way to fill in letters that lasts longer than the sign is to use a pyrography hot iron using a stippling action. Gives a lovely texture toooo! Paint letters and boardvwith clear varnish. Wives love doing pyrography so you can weazle out of doing it as it can take a while.

Bob
    So where would I be able to pick up one of those "wives" things you speak of? I've only got budget for the purchase of about $10.00.

Randy,

It's not the purchase price that kills you, it's the upkeep.
    Ken Zey
    Lookout Mercantile / Digital Millwork
    Rogers, AR
    www.CedarSlabSigns.com
    www.lookoutmercantile.com
    www.digitalmillwork.com

6x12 PRS alpha

Talking

That's what i thought, Ken.

Wonder if her upkeep would cost more then mine?

If it does, i don't see the point. Think a laser engraver would be cheaper.