Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: First flight...

It's been a hell of journey, that's for sure. This display isn't so great for dogfighting - there's no view "above" you, so looking up doesn't gain you much. I'm going to try it with a TrackIR unit (it's a head-tracking device) to auto-pan the view to see how that works in air-combat games.

Brady: Now that this one is done, I have to build the second one. That will be a much faster build since we dealt with all the "growing pains" building the first one.

g.

I really enjoyed the test flight Gene. A really excellant job.
    First prototype is an adventure.
    Second one fixes most the problems.
    Third one is everything it should be and built efficiently to boot.
    Fourth one is boring!!

Gene,

I have been looking on DIYDRONES.com. Your rig would be awesome for FPV (first person view)! After looking into the Arduino you are using, theses guys applications are amazing. The ArduPilot Mega is just mind blowing. I ordered a Arduino starter kit to begin learning the processor. The ArduPilot Mega is next!

It's already on the list Stan: See http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fiL41-51Duo - that's a test run of some software I wrote to control an R/C model from a PC. I've got a special interface box that allows me to plug a computer into the trainer jack of a standard R/C transmitter and drive it directly.

I cut the EZ Pod kits that RangeVideo sells for the EZ Star.

I'll need to custom build a model that will allow me to place three transmitters on board for the three cameras I'll need to use...that's the cheap way to go.

Does the ArduPilot have an integrated OSD?

g.

Gene,
    It sounds like the "growing pains" are with you! What i love is we all are now able to get into some of the things we couldn't do as kids!

Thats why you see us into RC planes or railroads. This is really cool. I went to your youtube link where it looks like you had a joystick controlling a camera.
    I'm not sure you referenced this but what would be REALLY COOL is if you could set up a motion control where the camera is controlled by the movement of your head similar to how the apache helicopter pilots control aiming of their guns.

They have sunglasses that have video screens in them where you could see what is being fed to the camera.

Frankly it might just be easier if you just went and took flying lessons and experienced it firsthand, but thenagain you couldn't push the reset button and start over in the event of a crash
    Keep showing us your progress.

Quote Originally Posted by geneb View Post
    Does the ArduPilot have an integrated OSD?

g.
    You need to spend a few hours on their site like I did. I am sure that you can gleen a lot more information than I did. To get OSD I think you have to add a full telemetry kit using Xbee modules. I think it has a 1 mile range.

Jack: I've got a device called a TrackIR that I can use to control the camera's pan/tilt mechanism. It's a head tracker meant for gaming, but they have an SDK you can use to interface to other things. The company I make the EZ Pod kits for also sell the LCD glasses you're referring to. I already have a pair.

Stan: There's some guys in Spain that have pulled a 120km range out of their system. It works at 828Mhz or something like that. If you take a look at the FPV forum over at rcgroups.com, you can see the thread they have going on about it.

g.

Quote Originally Posted by br928 View Post
    Gene,

I have been looking on DIYDRONES.com...
    Dude...totally!!! I also like the camera tracking paintball sentry...y'allve seen that one, right? Great way to keep deer out of my tomaters

-B
    High Definition 3D Laser Scanning Services - Advanced ShopBot CNC Training and Consultation - Vectric Custom Video Training IBILD.com

Gene that looks great! I've never seen the virtual cockpit used on a projected screen - only projected views with the gauges on hardware panels or on secondary screens inside the simpit itself. Will you be using the projected virtual cockpit once you finish or just for testing?

Gene, I am practically speechless. What a great undertaking and so much FUN to watch your progress all the way to the finished result! Simply awesome!