Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Solar Hot Air Heater

I wonder how hard it would be to convert the basic design into a pool heater? Just zig-zag a bunch of copper in the box instead of cans and run a tap line from the filter to the heater and back to the pool...If the wife sees this I can kiss the weekend goodbye

Cabinets Plus of Augusta, Hephzibah Ga 30815

Hey Jack,
    Do you have any plans for a solar ac unit ? Its hot enough here in Ga .
    How bout figger out how to do a solar ac one

Thanks Brady. Very interesting and informative stuff.

I think I may try putting one of these in one of the south facing windows of my shop. I could see it helping out in the fall or spring when it is still cooler but the sun is much more intense. What do you have to loose when they are quoting $4.50+ per gallon plus a delivery fee.
    Michael Schwartz - Waitsfield VT
    Shopbot prs standard 48x96. Aspire. SB Link.

wirsbo tubing and all it can do from cooling to hearing.....wrap the small tube around your spindle to heat your coffee

lay the tubing in your driveway to heat your pool, run it under your solar panels to keep panels cool...radiant floor,wall heating/cooling
    Vector Studio 22

Brian,
    Here is one link for solar pool heater:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TYHt_2T_Chs

Where i got all my info from for design was youtube, you can find tons of great instruction there:
    http://www.youtube.com/results?searc...=solar+hot+air

Here are some other excellent resources:
    http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/SimplySolar/

http://www.builditsolar.com/index.htm

http://www.greenpowerscience.com/
    This guy is like the "Mr. Wizard" of youtube, he has tons of great videos

I have a couple of digital thermometers that i am going to set up on the intake and output sides to gauge the heat output. I am waiting for a thermostatically controlled fan to install for the intake. The results will be misleading at this time of the year. The real test will be in Nov. Dec.
    edit:
    oh yeah, I got alot of advice from Brady which kept me from spending a lot of money and time on wrong things so he deserves an "honorable mention"!
    Last edited by myxpykalix; 07-09-2011 at 01:46 AM. Reason: additional credit

Liquid is a whole different game. The can/air setup is elegant & cheap, plus a good way to 'try on' this type of technology without breaking the bank.

You can literally go nuts combining different technologies for air and or water-based heaters. From ground source heat pumps, geothermal to parabolic troughs and salt/oil filled heat storage tanks, methane digesters in compost a la Jean Pain...it can go on forever. The most effective system is the one you actually implement...the armchair engineering has to bear fruit sooner or later.

It is possible to heat anhydrous ammonia as a refrigerant using solar energy, but it is highly dangerous. Research & decide for yourself.

Probably the best bang for the buck over the long term is good insulation. I'm currently insulating the out buildings with Tekfoil - akin to reflectix double bubble. It is a radiant barrier & works amazingly well. I'm into it for about $1/SF.

-B
    High Definition 3D Laser Scanning Services - Advanced ShopBot CNC Training and Consultation - Vectric Custom Video Training IBILD.com

Default pool heater

Quote Originally Posted by Acmeaviator View Post
    I wonder how hard it would be to convert the basic design into a pool heater? Just zig-zag a bunch of copper in the box instead of cans and run a tap line from the filter to the heater and back to the pool...If the wife sees this I can kiss the weekend goodbye

Copper is very expensive and does not zig - zag very well...

Could you just buy a roll of black poly pipe, set it in the sun with a small garden re-circ pond pump and warm up the water that way ?? You could use the Shopbot to cut open the box...

Anhydrous ammonia is far beyond dangerous and is great if you have over 400 acres of corn.
    The decimal point seems to be the most important on the z axis... x & y not so much....
    ShopBot... Where even the scraps and things you mess up and throw away are cool....

if you follow some of the youtube links you will see tons of videos for all manner of water heaters from coiled up black poly hoses to very sophisticated contraptions.

I'm trying to think about how will be the best way to keep the water warm by using a pump for recirculation of the water from the water heater to the hot tub and back again and have it thermostatically turn on the circulation pump if the water gets below certain temps.