Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Solar Hot Air Heater

Default Solar Hot Air Heater

I've just gotten into this whole "solar thing" and after watching tons of youtube videos. I decided to make one for myself. The idea here is that you blow in room temp or cold air from a fan in the bottom baffle.

It circulates thru the cans (all have been siliconed together with holes in tops and bottoms)
    The air is heated from the sun hitting the glass and is pushed out thru the baffles in the top as highly heated air. I have seen guys get 220 degrees in the winter from these. Should help keep the shop warm this winter.

Next im going to start on a solar hot water heater for the hot tub
    Attached Images Attached Images

I have them in my shop they save me about 8oo a year in heating .Its a smart move but I bought mine and barted for the second one

Nice! I've been saving cans myself

-B
    High Definition 3D Laser Scanning Services - Advanced ShopBot CNC Training and Consultation - Vectric Custom Video Training IBILD.com

A. I'm assuming that this replaces a window
    B. There will probably never be a folder 16 because this one (15) goes on and on and on

The hardest part of this project was getting all the cans i needed. I don't drink beer so i couldn't contribute. I went down to the city recycling center and they had 2 big long dumpsters full to the brim with aluminum cans probably a hundred thousand cans and they wouldn't let me have a couple hundred. They get .65 cents/lb for them and i told them i'd give them $1.00/lb but the beaurocracy wouldn't do it.

This one used about 121 cans. 11 rows 11 tall. It is going to go up against the shop wall and a hole for the intake and exhaust will be drilled into the wall. I probably have around $100.00 in this one.

please show a pic or 2 of this installed.
    thanks

I have to get a thermostatically controlled fan and figure out the best placement for the winter sun.

$50 will get you 120+ cans of premium brand soda. Less if you buy 'No Frills' or store brand. I guess you could donate the soda to a soup kitchen with the stipulation that you get the cans back rinsed out. Win+Win for everyone.

-B
    High Definition 3D Laser Scanning Services - Advanced ShopBot CNC Training and Consultation - Vectric Custom Video Training IBILD.com

Very interesting, Jack. Will you be doing any monitoring (in vs out temp, etc.) if it works that good I would also like to make one. I like to stay warm in my shop, but don't enjoy paying for it. Also, will you be posting plans for this, or pointing us to where you found yours? Thanks

This thread will get you going.

Keep in mind that this is supplemental heat. It does nothing at night. It is super cheap, and effective on sunny days.

In regards to 'covering a window' - this is not necessary. You can install this on the side of a building & port it into the room to be heated. You can also remotely move the air via fans, but then you need power. The best bang for the buck is to let convection currents take care of pumping the air. The larger the collector, the more heat you will gain - obviously. I have seen these angled under a window with the window clamping it shut to make a good seal. This way you don't lose the sunlight coming through the window.

-B