Thread: Production guy looking for sign help

Default Production guy looking for sign help

Hey Guys,

I'm mostly production of wood products and occasionally do some indoor signage that is mainly wood or veneered MDF with stains and clear coats. I've always enjoyed seeing what you guys do and say, "I'd like to get into that", but painting and such always slaps me upside the head and snaps me out of it.

That being said, I've been seeing more opportunities for signage and recently have been asked about doing one like the attached. Not too difficult to do, but I'd like to hear of some suggestions as to the type of material, paint etc., build methods, etc. that you would take with it.

Here are my thoughts...Materials, not sure, foam, wood, MDF.?

I'd make the base with the bevel, name either v-carved in or raised, heart and rose in 3D with scrollwork behind probably v-carved, gifts & collectables v-carved on a separate raised piece with areas offset to the shape of the scroll accents with those accents applied as 3D components or v-carved (don't think they'd look right on the base). The small hearts in the corners possibly just v-carved in or on a little raised block. I'll take some time to do a mock up in Aspire.

This would be indoors on a wall. Size is approx. 36" x 28".

Just looking for ideas, finish suggestions, material suggestions, etc. from the experts.

Thanks,
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Scott

If painting is the main thing that's holding you back. You can do what i do on the more complicated pieces. Have someone else paint it. Art students are great for this kind of thing and the cost really isn't that bad in that case either.

Regards
    Randy

Scott,

Congratulations on a beautiful concept and let me complement you on your PhotoShop illustration.

As you know, I'm coming from an old sign painters background and I don't know of a quick method for rendering your panel without the necessary experience and time to learn painting, masking and airbrush skills. It's fun to learn these processes and they will pay off in dividends.

There are dozens of skilled illustrators who don't have the skills to move beyond printing. They are only half way finished to completing a job like yours. I'd suggest buying a few tubes of Acrylic Paint and have some fun.

Joe Crumley
    www.normansignco.com