Thread: Explain the concept of the Super Z...?

Default Explain the concept of the Super Z...?

or the other centerfinders?

Up till now i haven't followed the threads because it looked to me like it was basically only good if you made your material Z on the corner of your material and I have always used the center of my material for my Z.

If i am wrong in that assumption please let me know because I have had an idea for a way to make a upgrade to be able to use this on the center of material but need some user input first.

The one I use can be put anywhere on the material. It has a cross hair etched in perspex that you place on a point and then the routine centers the bit in the copper cap and uses offsets to get the actual point.

I have another one with guides on it for using on the edges and corners of the material.

I based them on the files from this site http://www.k4mg.com/xyz.htm

Sorry for lack of pictures but I can't find my camera. Think I might have left it in France a couple of weekends ago!

Jack,

I use mine quite a bit, but don't bother using it for zeroing the z axis. While it would work fine for doing so, it's just easier and more convenient to use the SB supplied z plate. Mine is a 5" x 5" x 0.5" thick plate with a 2.5" hole centered in it and some overhanging fences on two edges. I can use it to set xy zero to the outside corner of the workpiece by hooking the fences over the edge of the workpiece or flip it around and set xy to the inside of a corner. I don't have the need for crosshairs and felt that it makes it less accurate when lining it up by eye than to use the edges.

I seldom work with xy zero at the center of my material, but on the rare occasion that I might, I'll use it to set to the corner and then just J2 to the known (by measurement) center and Z2 there or run 2D offset. You could just as well put an input line in the file that runs it, where after setting xy zero to the corner, it would ask if you wanted to set xy zero to the center and then tell it the location from there or input the size of the material and have it do the math and move there with a Z2 at the end.

I'll often use mine to set various work offsets on the table where I may have a jig setup for one part and then want to move to another location to work from there for some other parts for awhile and later go back to the other. I've set up four work offsets (could have as many as you want) that can be saved or goto at anytime and have the xy zero set there. At anytime I want, I can also return to table base zero. Once any of the four locations are saved, I can jog/move between any one of them with a click of a button on the screen and have that place be my current xy zero.

It also works well for setting the table base xy zero and then finding the distance from there to the prox switches for editing the my_variables file when a new table surface has been put down or for the seasonal change in size from humidity.

Last message in this thread has some pictures of it and the file. http://www.talkshopbot.com/forum/sho...?t=5495&page=4

I have a little video too, but it's a little too big for here.
    Scott

Does anyone know if there is any type of electronic eye/detector that would recognize a laser line? I am cooking up an idea but frankly don't know what you might call something like that?

It would be some sort of photocell wouldn't it?