Thread: Prt alpha reversed y motor

Threaded View

Default Prt alpha reversed y motor

Hello. I have finished re-assembling my PRT alph, and just did the first electrical test, to check the Z, Y and X movements.

Z checked OK, in that it moved as the instruction book said it should.

But when I tested the Y axis, I expected it would move in reverse, because when I purchased this machine 1 1/2 years ago, the Y stepper motor was mounted on the wrong side (it was on the same side of the X car as the cable arch!) When I reassembled this machine in my basement, I followed the directions, and the Y stepper is now on the opposite side of the cable arch (though I replaced the arch with an echain). And in fact, the Y car moved in the wrong direction when I tested it.

My machine came with the PRT manual, and a PRT alpha conversion instruction set. The PRT manual gives full test instructions, and the alpha conversion manual does not. So, the PRT manual says it is easy to correct the backwards motion of the Y car, by reversing the green and black wires of pins 3 & 4 of the gray Wago connector on the cable that goes into the motor driver box. They say this can be done with a small screw driver.

Problem 1:
    The wires on this connector are green/#4 and yellow/#3. So, I suspect my PRT directions do not apply to the PRT that has been upgraded to an Alpha. And, the Alpha conversion directions and trouble shooting guides do not say anything about reversing motor directions.

Problem 2:
    My connectors are not grey. They are natural Nylon. In my past life as an electrical engineer, who had to do and undo lots of Molex connectors (never used Wago), these don't have the little locking ramps that can be undone with a little screw driver. And, when I bought my used PRT alpha, it didn't come with any connector tools. I have attached two pictures, so you can see what connectors I have. Where is the cheapest place I can get a tool for this style of connector, and what is the correct ordering number? (Or can these in fact be changed without a special tool (I also have had lots of practice messing up connectors when not using the right tools!)

Your guidance is appreciated! Thanks, Chuck
    Attached Images Attached Images