Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Spray Stencil Ink for Signs.

Default Spray Stencil Ink for Signs.

I've been looking into the Marsh brand stencil ink that Eric Erickson uses on his cedar signs. He does an outstanding job as we all can tell. I have noticed there are other colors available besides just black. I do a lot more PVC signs then I do wood. Up here in NY heading up into the mountains it just holds up better. A few questions-

1) Can anyone else find a supplier for individual cans besides black and white?

2) Has anyone used the stencil ink on other material such as aluminum, pvc, corian or anything else.

3) The specs on the product say it's waterproof but should it be sealed anyways?

4) If we get a few people together that can test the product on other materials and if there is interest. Would anyone be interested in splitting cases up depending on colors available? (most colors are only available in a case of 12 that i can find)

My standard colors for my signs are blue, black, red, green and brown. Brown isn't an available color that i can see but that's not as popular as black and green here. On my pvc signs i usually use exterior enamel with masking that's milled with the v carvings. It does take at least over night to dry before sanding and that's if it's not too humid. Can't beat the longevity of it that i've found so far. The biggest issue with replacing the exterior enamel is that the pvc i use doesn't need to be sealed. I have signs that have held up to the salt and sand out by the road for three years without signs of wear. Adding an extra step to the process would lead me to raise prices.

Regards
    Randy
    Attached Images Attached Images

http://www.drillspot.com is much cheaper. Free shipping and multiple colors.

I found black and white on drillspot. No other colors then that or am I missing something?
    Don
    Diamond Lake Custom Woodworks, LLC
    www.dlwoodworks.com
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in one pretty and well preserved piece; But to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, worn out, bank accounts empty, credit cards maxed out, defiantly shouting "Geronimo"!

If you make something idiot proof, all they do is create a better idiot.

They have the krylon stencil ink in different colors.

Default March stencil ink

I now have a can and not sure when i intend on using it. Only question. I understand sanding off the excess but can you wipe off the excess with a solvent. If so what kind?

Grainger carries marshes stencil ink. I think in different colors.
    Don
    www.dlwoodworks.com
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in one pretty and well preserved piece; But to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, worn out, bank accounts empty, credit cards maxed out, defiantly shouting "Geronimo"!

Quote Originally Posted by cowboy1296 View Post
    I now have a can and not sure when i intend on using it. Only question. I understand sanding off the excess but can you wipe off the excess with a solvent. If so what kind?
    I let it dry for a couple of hours then sand the areas around where I sprayed. I've used it on hickory, cedar, white oak, alder and red oak with excellent results. I normally seal the wood with a can of spray shellac before applying the marshes. Helps keep bleeding down and the overspray is much easier to remove as it doesn't soak into the grain as bad.

I topcoat outdoor signs with Cabot's Australian Timber Oil and indoor projects with Deft spray lacquer. Since signs and plaques don't get hard use (they just hang on a wall) I don't worry to much about durability of the finish on indoor plaques.
    Don
    www.dlwoodworks.com

Uline

Indiana Stamp

I've gotten it from both. Indiana Stamp has it in more colors than Uline and has a single can price. Uline is 6, 12, or 24 cans.

I mainly use it on v-carved cherry MDF on top of a seal coat of pre-cat lacquer with a top coat after sanding away the overspray. I needed something that the lacquer didn't eat up/wrinkle/lift and the ink works great. I use mostly black and some red.
    Scott

I've been using the black Marsh stencil ink lately that I got from Zorotools.com. Looks like their price has gone up but looks like only they sell Black, Tan and white in single cans. I actually don't see a difference between the marsh and the 0.99 can of flat black from Lowes. They both gum up my sanding pads quickly. Too get around it I've been using shelf paper and vcarving through it. Remore the shelf paper and a real quick sanding after and I'm done.
    Winnipesaukee Manufacturing