Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Mantle

Thanks guys,

It's 85.5" long, 13" deep front to back, and 8" tall. It's meant to cover an existing old plain mantle. The oak leaves and acorns model is from VectorArt 3D. It was scaled up a little and then cut off and repeated/mirrored from the center out and a small portion was used on the ends to continue.

It's made from 4/4 cherry with a light "Ipswitch Pine" stain. Two light coats of conversion varnish (Becker Acroma Amerivar Clear Satin) and then some General Finishes Van Dyke Brown glaze (per Tim Merrill's tutorial ) and then a final coat of finish.

Cutting time was approximately 30 minutes for the roughing pass with a 0.25" downcut endmill and 6 hours for the finish pass on the front with another hour each for the ends with a 0.125" tapered ballnose at 8% stepover.

I'll have to see about getting some pictures after it's in place. I'm not installing it, it's being shipped to Ohio.
    Last edited by srwtlc; 08-05-2011 at 12:16 AM. Reason: More info
    Scott

That is REALLY nice. I like it a lot. How were the 3D files priced? Expensive, reasonable, cheap? Any concern or feedback on the file(s)? I had looked at using one of those, but forget what the major concern was.

Thanks for sharing. Excellent look/work!

Monty

Monty,

The file is from VectorArt 3D and was $50.... http://www.vectorart3d.com/store/ind...etail&ID=57128 ...style A

No problem with the file. As stated earlier, I cut/copy/pasted/flipped/mirrored until I had the size as close as possible and after baking into one piece, scaled it to the final length and height without distortion.
    Scott

Inspiring. What was the time invested for preparation, routing and what machines were used?

Dan,

Material prep time wasn't much, choosing the cherry stock to use, planing to thickness with a planer, ripping and crosscutting to width and length with tablesaw and mitersaw, gluing and clamping the top together, surface sanding the top at a local cabinet shop. The thing that took the most effort, was setting up and cutting the lock miter joint on the corners at a router table. Being that the top was so long, I needed someone to support the outer end and follow along with me. Crown molding was purchased from one of the local Amish mills.

Computer time setting up the design and toolpaths took a couple of hours maybe until I was happy with it.

Cut time on the ShopBot was approximately 8 hours for all toolpaths.

About 4 hours to get the glazing done to my liking and then a couple hours in spraying the conversion varnish.
    Scott

Gorgeous. Nice work.