expation will follow
    Attached Images Attached Images

expaltion will follow

new small kitchen

future kitchen

I put a picture of the view I drive by everyday. Newfoundland has to be one of the most rugged but beautiful place in North America. But that is another story. I attached a picture of a table that we are just finishing up. It was part indexing head, part lathe. All 8/4 lumber. There are amazing prices on Oak. It turned into an inexpensive option.
    The next picture is a small kitchen. A few people asked me how I did my sides. Too difficult to explain in the forum. I picked this kitchen to show plain flat panels. We went to the ceiling with 6" crown. This element takes longer to install but I think it seperates us from the big box stores and their attempt to design. It is the only real way a small shop will survive. I learned in the early 90's when IKEA invaded Montreal to not compete with them because you will lose. They can't compete with this kind of install because they would have to have to have skilled installers.
    The next picture is of a future kitchen. it will at 4x12 concrete island. A big leap from the other kitchen.
    There is a mantle there, no ShopBot.
    The last pic is of a vanity. There I put a little more detail on the side. With painted you can get away with a lot.
    I hope this helps someone who is starting out.
    I went on vacation in Florida and of course did the Disneyworld and then saw the signs and there wasn't one sign there, in my opinion, that could really top Joe's. We are lucky that somebody of his caliber still posts. He is not trying to make money off DVD's or anything else. I have learned a lot from his stuff so in Joe's tradition I will try and pass it on. The table was not 100% my design. I was given a picture but I did tweek it. Anybody has questions, please feel free to ask.
    Kevin

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Explanation

nice view of a coast line...I drive one everyday also but a few miles south...

muy buen muebles que hecho ustedes.
    Last edited by gc3; 08-06-2011 at 08:46 PM.
    Vector Studio 22

Thanks for all the pictures.
    Couple of questions:
    1. On the Oak table top how did you fasten the end boards to the planks? Is there a hidden mortise and tenon or something with room for seasonal movement?
    2. The additional holes in the vanity base between the hinges look like they are for pull-outs. Is that right?

Florida is not really a place to see great sign work. Or great woodwork for that matter. Generally speaking it's pretty plastic. That being said though there are few craftsmen like Joe anywhere.

Dave, It is a hidden groove. Instead of so much wood glue, what I used was PL which is polyurethane like Gorilla glue but more rubbery. I have used this technique for the last 10 years. The only drawback is that in one year you have a ridge. It is the same technique as the mantle. That is why I posted the picture of the mantle.I would have loved to have done sliding dovetail.
    For your second question. I am not sure but there are 3 hideway drawers.

Gene, Explanation. The reason I wrote this post, is because watching Congress during the week playing Russian Roulette with the world economy had to be one of the most selfish things I saw because what they did was create a double dip recession. Being in the service industry, woodworking isn't exactly a real necessity but then I started to realize it can also be an opportunity. For sure when I travelled in the States or in Canada there are way too many box stores. My formula for cabinetry works, don't forget I moved here in 2007, to one of the poorest places in Canada and business is good. I am just venting a bit. I know that probably a few cabinetmakers are on edge but I think there is opportunity right now to show that Made in North America is a way superior product. The thing that you notice about my work I had to become very frugal. I do high end on a budget. it was way different from Montreal. Before I left, people were spending 15,000.$ on appliances. It has taught me to be creative and efficient. That is why I think that the party is over for easy money in cabinetry.
    I just wrote this in case somebody is starting up and is stressed out.
    Kevin

Nicer looking than the complete through mortise. I've seen tables change in width over an inch through the seasons.