Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Spindle speed and warm-up

Default Spindle speed and warm-up

The instructions that came with my 5HP Columbo spindle, say that it should be warmed up at 50% of maximum name plate label speed for 4 minutes, then be run at 75% of the maximum name plate label speed for 3 minutes, and finally 3 minutes at full speed. I did not get a manual for my Delta VFD-B, and there isn't any info on this unit in my big SB binder either.

Question 1: Is there a built-in warm-up routine in my Delta VFD? If so, what keypad commands do I execute to bring up the warm-up routine? This would seem to be a pretty basic and obvious feature to include.

Question set 2: The Columbo spindle has two name plates, one says 18,000 RPM max @ 300Hz. The other name plate says 24,000 RPM max @ 400Hz. Do I select the frequency of 300Hz or 400Hz with the Delta VFD-B? How do I decide which frequency I should use? Or does it really make any difference? Or is the frequency beyond my control?

Thank you again for your assistance, Chuck
    Attached Images Attached Images

I have a shopbot 2.2 hp kit so I don't know if this is the same but...

I use a C5 command to run the warm-up routine. It runs three speeds for a total of 9 minutes.

3 min of 9000
    3 min of 10000
    3 min of 12000
    PRS Standard 96x48 2.2 HSD
    Plastics is my thing....

On my 2.2hp spindle is use the following warm up routine

7000 for 2 minutes
    10000 for 2 minutes
    13000 for 2 minutes
    15000 for 2 minutes
    18000 for 2 minutes

Never have had a problem in 2 years.

There is a spindle warm up routine that comes with the Shopbot.
    Don
    Diamond Lake Custom Woodworks, LLC
    www.dlwoodworks.com
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in one pretty and well preserved piece; But to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, worn out, bank accounts empty, credit cards maxed out, defiantly shouting "Geronimo"!

If you make something idiot proof, all they do is create a better idiot.

The purpose of warming up the spindle is to warm up the grease in the bearings, without skidding them and to allow the metals to fully expand so that shaft runout and end play are within spec before you apply a load.

High RPM applied to a cold spindle can 'skid' the bearings...much like a 'spun bearing' in an engine. It can cause the balls and seats to gall and other ugly things. It's like that crazy neighbor who starts his car in the Winter and revs the heck out of it before things are warmed up. It's enough to make you cringe if you understand what that does to an engine.

I have a very good friend who has been doing industrial electric motor repair for 30+ years. When he helped me rebuild my 2001 Colombo he told me to start it spinning slowly. I typically start warming up around 5000 RPM. In the Winter, I start at 3000 RPM. I get things moving and then switch to 9000 RPM after I feel that the lower bearing support (cast iron) is not ice cold. It takes as long as it takes to warm up, and this is directly influenced by ambient temperatures.

You really don't want to crank the RPM up high until the grease inside is warmed up. Think candle wax. The spindle will warm up just fine at lower RPM. It might just take a little longer, but you'll be rewarded with longer spindle life if you avoid the temptation to crank it up right away.

-B
    High Definition 3D Laser Scanning Services - Advanced ShopBot CNC Training and Consultation - Vectric Custom Video Training IBILD.com

What about cool down?

I've seen it mentioned in several posts here but no information as to times and methods.

I agree with Brady..

My warmup starts at 6000 increments to 20K

cooldown is 5 minutes @ 6K for me
    Gary Campbell
    GCnC Control
    GCnC411(at)gmail(dot)com
    Servo Controller Upgrades
    http://www.youtube.com/user/Islaww1

"We can not solve our problems with the same level of thinking that created them"
    Albert Einstein

If there is the c5 command for a spindle warmup routine is there a command for when you have a second spindle (A axis)?
    Thanks,
    Mike

Mike...
    There is not a "canned" version, but if you email me a copy of your existing warmup, with a few questions, we can build one. Email in RED lower left
    Gary Campbell
    GCnC Control
    GCnC411(at)gmail(dot)com
    Servo Controller Upgrades
    http://www.youtube.com/user/Islaww1

"We can not solve our problems with the same level of thinking that created them"
    Albert Einstein

Brady's message of "It Takes As Long As It Takes" makes a lot of sense to me. I've always wondered whether it varies with ambient temperature, time since completion of previous cut, etc.

It shouldn't be too difficult to make this a closed loop thing, right?
    -Affix a thermocouple to the bearing housing area (maybe drill in a bit, to be closest to the part that matters)
    -Provide the temperature as an input to the Shopbot (er, anyone know how to do that? Maybe via one of these?)
    -Start at a speed appropriate for current housing temp
    -Ramp in much smaller increments, in response to observed temp elevation

I'd like to hope it would end up being faster than just using a fixed amount of time every time. It would certainly eliminate the "hope I'm not screwing this up" worry.

Another thought: why don't we just heat wrap that portion of our spindles (like a pipe in danger of freezing)? No warmup needed at all...

Unhappy C5 does nothing on my macine

Hello and thanks:

1) With everything powered up, I entered C5 into the command line of the Shopbot "Control Console", and nothing happened. The larger display below the command line flashed something for a moment, and then the "Previous:" window below that, showed "C5". I also tried pushing the big green start button on the big silver PRT alpha control box, and that didn't do anything. The Delta VFD is running, but the spindle doesn't start. (The only way I could start my spindle, was to load the cut file I have, and then press the big green start button on the PRTalpha control box.) What am I doing wrong this time?

2) My ShopBot Command Quick Reference sheet doesn't list C5. But in a Shopbot screen display, I found a listing for C5 (with an underscore beneath 5) and that said: "Return to Z".

3) Any comments on my original question 2, about 300Hz and 400Hz?

Thanks, Chuck