Thread: Drawer issue!!!!

Default Drawer issue!!!!

When I'm running out of idea's use the forum! I made a big tilt out drawer requested by a customer. They are pleased with the way it works. But for me it shuts too good! its heavy and quickly closes back that could get some kids fingers in it. It has a pull on it that helps,but not the answer. Any suggestions would be helpful. Pic of side view shows how it just tilts open and hinged on bottom of door and drawer is attached to door. Thanks!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Russ,

Mount some spring/shock cords in the back and string them from the top of the cabinet to the bottom of the tip out drawer box. Keep adding shock cords until you get the resistance you are looking for.

That's probably the way I would approach it. They would be out of site when the box is open or closed.
    Don
    Diamond Lake Custom Woodworks, LLC
    www.dlwoodworks.com
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in one pretty and well preserved piece; But to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, worn out, bank accounts empty, credit cards maxed out, defiantly shouting "Geronimo"!

If you make something idiot proof, all they do is create a better idiot.

Russ....
    I dont have a perfect solution for you, ie one that is made for that purpose, but one of these options should work: a gas cylinder, a flap stay or an air cylinder with a flow control on one port. Dont have any mount geometry for you, but whichever you pick, if you play with it, you can get the slam action dampened.
    Gary Campbell
    GCnC Control
    GCnC411(at)gmail(dot)com
    Servo Controller Upgrades
    http://www.youtube.com/user/Islaww1

"We can not solve our problems with the same level of thinking that created them"
    Albert Einstein

IE is good a professional opinion priceless. Already some good ideas thanks!

hettich, blum and hafele offer many solutions/choices for this type of application.
    Vector Studio 22

depending on how heavy the items that may go into the bin part of the drawer why not get one of those "easy close" drawer slides that closes the drawers easily and mount it vertically instead of horizontally.
    Attached Images Attached Images

You can use the lid stays designed for toy chests. I like the Sugatsune's the best.

Hey Russ. I checked my hardware site and found this....might work. Has soft close as well.
    http://www.richelieu.com/produit/det...0691100&fr=pgr

Another thought. Would this soft close part work? You could perhaps screw it to box / frame side????

http://www.richelieu.com/produit/ind...f=1&selectGr=1

tried to attach pic but no luck.
    Last edited by GlenP; 08-07-2011 at 02:26 PM.

Went with quick fix two Blummotion door bumpers. Thanks for all the response!!!!!!!!

Russ, All I could offer is to move the hinge point. You say "the drawer tilts open and hinged on bottom of door". I would move the hinge or pivot closer to the center of the drawer (up and right in you view). This would let 1/2 of the weight in the drawer to swing inward balancing the load. I know it would require a re-design of the drawer but it would allow the center of gravity to shift in your favor. I hope this makes some sense?