Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Water cooled spindle

Quote Originally Posted by steve_g View Post
    There is actually some logic in asking about a Toyota on a Chevy site... I always like to know what the scuttle butt is... and make my own decision as to what is blind brand loyalty and what has merit.

Steve
    I was hoping for an open, honest and detailed discussion to further my confidence for an important decision.

Dan, you have to get in line to be Gene's apprentice, isn't his stuff something..
    By the way, I am using a china spindle...its not a water cooled one, I am pleased with it..
    I did use a hsd spindle for a couple of years so am familiar with them, the chinese have copied the hsd in design.
    There are a lot of botters using them, they shy away from posting it because of the "flak" it seems to arouse, I personally dont see any diff
    using Japanese motors, german bearings, or korean tool changers.
    guess I'm being un-american,
    Good luck in your research, hope you do settle on a bot.

Dan A and Dan H:

I'm actually interested in hearing from others who have adopted "inexpensive" spindles. I don't understand the "flak" given by others as it seems to me that the ShopBot community is all about experimenting, adapting, and innovating. If someone has had a bad... or a good experience with a particular brand of spindle... or whatever, this would be the place to share that information.

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by danhamm View Post
    Dan, you have to get in line to be Gene's apprentice, isn't his stuff something..
    By the way, I am using a china spindle...its not a water cooled one, I am pleased with it..
    I did use a hsd spindle for a couple of years so am familiar with them, the chinese have copied the hsd in design.
    There are a lot of botters using them, they shy away from posting it because of the "flak" it seems to arouse, I personally dont see any diff
    using Japanese motors, german bearings, or korean tool changers.
    guess I'm being un-american,
    Good luck in your research, hope you do settle on a bot.
    Thank you. Thats helpful and informative. I am very impressed with what I read about the shopbot line of products and this is a very active and helpful forum. We seem to have an absence of cnc enthusiasts here in Central Missouri. I just checked with the adult education center and they had no idea what I was talking about. Guess I'll have to take a refrigeration or welding class.

I wouldn't buy anything Laguna sells. They don't make anything, they just buy machines from the lowest bidder and slap their name on it.

Guys...
    I know that a number of Botters use the Chineese stuff. And its easy to tell my personal prefference, but please know my comments were based on being courteous to our hosts. Since ShopBot supports this forum, and sells PC routers and 2 brands of spindles, it is a courtesy not to post about a product that competes directly with those they sell.

Gene referrenced a thread on CNC Zone. A much better place to get unbiased info, both for and against.
    Gary Campbell
    GCnC Control
    GCnC411(at)gmail(dot)com
    Servo Controller Upgrades
    http://www.youtube.com/user/Islaww1

"We can not solve our problems with the same level of thinking that created them"
    Albert Einstein

Excellent points and very good advice. Generous sponsors should be given appropriate respect without question.

Quote Originally Posted by woodworx View Post
    I wouldn't buy anything Laguna sells. They don't make anything, they just buy machines from the lowest bidder and slap their name on it.
    I have had big questions about Laguna. They seem to be heavy on the promotional side but questionable on the delivery side. Your comment is appreciated and confirms some of my suspicion. Do you know for sure that the products are constructed in the fashion you describe?

hey Dan
    I have a water cooled auto tool changer, if you like call me, maybe I can help a little on the water cooled part. The spindle has been on my machine for about 2 years, love it.
    mark 757-288-6256

The specs on most fan cooled spindles give a fan cooled spindle a 60-75% duty cycle. Spindles with forced air cooling are rated at 100% duty cycle. Water cooled spindles are rated at 100% duty cycle.

If the spindle/driver uses a themo-couple to monitor heat, any of the three types will work.

I used a 3hp Colombo fan cooled spindle for several years with excellent results. By setting the display to show Amps being drawn, I made cuts that pulled 1-1/2 to 2hp to allow me to use the spindle at a100% duty rate.

I know several people who have converted other machines to use a water cooled spindle. All had excellent results - given the stipulation that those spindles were rated at 2hp.