Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: More Newbie Questions

Default More Newbie Questions

After getting my spindle to run, and while waiting for my USB spindle speed control interface to arrive, I decided to install SB 3.6.38. This created two new questions:

1) I re-zeroed my machine using the XYzero.sbp file. The new zero was set by making readings from my x and y limit switches. This resulted in the new 0,0 position, as being "in the air", beyond the lower left edge of my table top/spoil board.

What is common practice for locating the 0,0 position? I could imagine setting at the lower left corner of the spoil board. I could see why it would be set in to the table a little way, and I can even see moving it all around, to keep even wear patterns on the spoil board.

Can anyone provide what is good practice, with a brief note as to why this is desirable?

2) Because of question 1, I tried to look in the Help pull-down menu, but that created another question.

How do I access the User Guide and the Quick Start for beginning Shopbotters guide? I clicked on the [U] and [Q] selections, but no new documents opened up. I tried pressing U and Q while holding down shift, and alt and ctrl too, but nothing helped. I poked around in various files, and couldn't find these either.

If anyone needs these HELP! files, it is me..... Your assistance is again appreciated, thanks, Chuck

To change the location of 0,0 you do it from shop bot set-up under the tools tab. You need to determine the correct offset from the prox switches. You can do it "close by putting in a v-bit, put it over the desired location, pres ZX and ZY, then send the tool by entering something like mx -4 and when it stops at the prox record the number, do the same for y, record the number, and then enter it in the set-up routine.

Most botters like the default at the lower left corner as the draw that way. That is what I do. That will make the tool return there unless you change O,O for a special reason. There are several that you may run into as time goes on. Generally it is changed because you have blocking on the table to position several parts that get the same work done on them so the file will cut.

Some like to 0 in the center of a workpiece. They have their reasons and can chime in with them.

The user guide is online and you must be hooked up to the internet to access it.

I think the issue with the user guide might be that you don't have a program to read PDF files (such as Acrobat, Foxit etc) installed.

Thanks Dave for the clear answers to my X, Y Zeroing question.

Thanks Adrian for figuring out my inability to read the help files! When I couldn't access the help files, I didn't think they were Internet accessed files, because other items in that pull down menu, like the user forum and Shopbot's website, specifically noted that Internet access is required. There were no such notes by the two items I was trying to access.

However, a couple of times when I had turned on my ShopBot's PC, I got a message saying my Acrobat reader was out of date. I thought, Ah ha! What if that message pops up while I am running a cut file? I had better delete my Acrobat reader. I did that a week or two ago, and had forgotten. So, I think Adrian gets an extra gold star for remote diagnostic powers.

With that said, is it not a problem to have pop-ups like Acrobat Reader update reminders??? If so, how do I have my help files and read them too without making other problems?

Thanks, Chuck

Chuck- at first just move the bolts so the prox switches find the point above the corner of your spoilboard (or wherever you want 0,0 to be).

When you have used the bot a little more, you can change your XYZero routine to first locate the prox switches, which should be repeatable to 0.002" when the gap to the bolts are set right. Then in the XYZero.sbc program you can add the offset very precisely to the corner of your spoilboard.

Now days I cut a pocket in my spoilboards so I can temporary inset a copper sweat fitting and "zero in hole". That will find the center reliably to 0.001", then you can use:

VA,PocketPositionX,PocketPositionY

And you can go back to the same place on the spoilboard/project based on a high accuracy zeroing.

Lots of tricks to learn. Sounds like you are well on your way-

D
    "The best thing about building something new is either you succeed or learn something. Its a win-win situation."

--Greg Westbrook

Uninstall Adobe Reader and go with either Foxit or NitroPDF, both are free. I like Foxit best as it has a much lighter footprint than Adobe and all it's junk. Disable any auto update and just do it yourself from time to time (Preferences-Updater).

Dave's got you covered best on the offset of table and prox switches, but I like to take several readings and average them. Instead of using the setup tool, I usually just open the My_Variables.sbc file and enter it myself.
    Scott

Dana:

The problem with moving the bolts so the prox switches are at 0,0 is that there are times when you may want to move below zero. Although it would still be possible it is more of a pain.
    I like my prox's close to the table limits personally. I have my table base and spoil board set up so there is around a half inch to the proxe's at the low end so when I put a new spoil board on it is easy to offset by -.25 and trim it square on both zereo axes. I put most of the "extra" x length at the high side for the ability to do things off the high end like dovetails.

Chuck: You can get rid of the automatic reminders without deleting the program. As others have noted: Follow the black viper instructions.

Dave- I most certainly agree you or I should do that. Chuck has a brand new ShopBot and its overwhelming at first.

All the fine cool things an experienced botter can do are beyond the horizon at that point. It doesnt take long to get up to speed, then all kinds of cool things become possible. The reason we all like our machines so much. The machine is worthy of a growing understanding of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Keysor View Post
    1) I re-zeroed my machine using the XYzero.sbp file. The new zero was set by making readings from my x and y limit switches. This resulted in the new 0,0 position, as being "in the air", beyond the lower left edge of my table top/spoil board.
    At the very beginning a technology most botters are comfortable with is hand tools. Move the bolt is indeed a short term solution, because the machine keeps tripping on the limit switches requiring overrides when the cut goes to 0 in X or Y.

The question is how to best help those who are just starting out.

I appreciate your suggestions and helpfulness.

D
    "The best thing about building something new is either you succeed or learn something. Its a win-win situation."

--Greg Westbrook

Chuck...
    My guess is that when you installed the new version, your stored settings in the my_variables file were overwritten.

Here is how to get them back:
    run the XY zero routine (C3)
    using a sharp V bit as a locator, move the machine with the keyboard and/or small move commands to your preferred 0,0 location
    Write down the X & Y coordinates from the position screen

Open setup: [T] [S]

fill in the proper info and follow the steps until you get to the X & Y (prox) setup section

the default amounts are "-.5" (but may be different) Take your written amounts and change them to a negative number ( 1.234 to -1.234) and add them to the value in the fill in box. (-.5 + -1.234 = -1.734 for example)

enter the new values into the fill in boxes for both X and Y.

test by running the C3 again, adjust if needed.

Note: this will work for your situation (bit not over spoilboard) as the values for the prox are simply the amount that the axes "roll back" from the "hit" position. If you receive a negative position then you may have to relocate the target bolts. (unless a large number is present in the fill in box)

Usually, unless erroneously placed, there is no reason to move the target bolts. SB3 stores the "rollback" amount and [T] [S] gives you an easy way to adjust to your preferred X,Y zero position.

As you gain experience, you may wish to increase your rollback amount for more negative axis clearance and adjust those rollback amounts in the variables file directly as I do. (I keep mine 2-3" away)
    Gary Campbell
    GCnC Control
    GCnC411(at)gmail(dot)com
    Servo Controller Upgrades
    http://www.youtube.com/user/Islaww1

"We can not solve our problems with the same level of thinking that created them"
    Albert Einstein

I'll continue to disagree with you on this one Dana (and it's not often I do.) I believe it is better to learn to do it right the first time. This was drummed into me at an early age when my old man told me never add by counting on my fingers as learning the wrong way will only lead to bigger problems learning the right way.