Thread: first projects

Default first projects

so i planned a couple easy projects on the bot to make sure that everything is accurate and functioning well. these were done in bluefoam (2in) with centurion upcut/ballnose bits.

the first "3d" test was carving some topo maps of the mountain ranges around my warehouse. cut time was about 2 hours at 2-3ips. i am happy with the results and look forward to doing more and more of these.
    the piece is 1ft by 3ft, my camera distorts things a little but it makes you feel closer to the piece.

GOPR1281 by strangesnowboarding, on Flickr

another project was my first CNC cut sign. it is also 2in foam, primed and painted. this is my first attempt at "fake" woodgrain and i think it is a promising start. sign is also 1ft by 3ft. it took around 1hr at 2-3ips.

GOPR1278 by strangesnowboarding, on Flickr

all the files were made in rhino3d, and toolpathed using MADcam. exported into gcode and then converted to shopbot code. it took a few tries but i think i have the workflow figured out!

i have also been doing some profile cutting to make random things for the warehouse. nothing worth photographs except the dust boot i made.
    1/4in plexi with some cheapo vinyl from the local hardware store. simple but effective!

GOPR1284 by strangesnowboarding, on Flickr

thanks for checking it out, i hope to be doing more and more as time goes on.

You are off to a fast start. That stuff looks great. Could you share what primer and paint you are using on the foam. There seems to be lots of controversy about the foams and coatings. It looks like your stuff turned out great.

Bob

Default mountain range file

So what was the process on creating the mountain range file ?

You just need a 3-d inkjet to spray on some snow.
    The decimal point seems to be the most important on the z axis... x & y not so much....
    ShopBot... Where even the scraps and things you mess up and throw away are cool....

curtiss- i grabbed the 3d model from google earth through sketchup (not super easy but fairly accurate), from that i had a .stl file to work on. a couple steps in rhino (drape, control point editing, add heights) got me to the final model with false heights. all of the vertical locations are in the same relation to eachother, however they have been scaled up (so somewhere around 25,000ft instead of the 14,000 we are working with) so that you can really see how the terrain moves.

i can go into more detail if necessary, i know there is a video tutorial out there that i have seen with this method. i cant remember where it went tho.

there are better ways to do this however this was the "easiest" first option.... 4 programs, one plugin, and two computers (3 if you count the bot control) later. haha.

my business partner sent me a bunch of videos of the 3d inkjet doing work right after we finished the first map. pretty spectacular detail. our 3d printer will be one of us and an airbrush! way cheaper.

CObob- i used killz primer (latex) and then layers of latex paint for the sign. the final colors were all done with rattlecan paints. i used west system epoxy on some other projects to seal before priming and that worked great as a seal coat.
    the picture of the topo map is one coat of primer on top of the blue foam, i plan on laying down some epoxy on top to create a surface i can sand a little bit, then painting.

finished another sign (like a month ago, but it just got painted and hung)

NMtuneshop by strangesnowboarding, on Flickr

this one is much better than the previous attempt, i feel i am starting to understand the most effective ways to design and cut these guys out. Joe (our artist) did all the paint with a rattlecan, it is impressive enough for now but an airbrush will be the best option in the future. we will do a couple more for ourselves then begin branching out to local signshops.

we have also been cutting a lot of wood, but nothing pretty or interesting for now. it has been doing "diecuts" for our snowboards, everything else cool is too hard to see.

if this works (not sure how facebook photos link on here)
    http://www.facebook.com/#!/photo.php...type=3&theater

thanks!