Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Dust Collector Cyclone Lids

Default Dust Collector Cyclone Lids

Wondering if anybody here has tried installing one of these cyclonic lids inline between their SB and dust collector.
    ZDo they really work? Link http://www.leevalley.com/en/wood/pag...t=1,42401&ap=1

I have one. It is wonderful. It takes the big chunks out that breaks impellers and pokes holes in the bag. Of course I am using this dust collector for a lot more then CNC. I hope no chunks that big come off the machine. The cyclone is collecting the bigger chips off of the CNC. That must mean my feeds and speeds are good, huh?

Yes - they really work...and reduces the number of times you have to empty the bag(s) on the collector.

-B
    High Definition 3D Laser Scanning Services - Advanced ShopBot CNC Training and Consultation - Vectric Custom Video Training IBILD.com

I used a cyclone lid on a trash can for quite a while when my SB was new. It works well as Brady says, however the amount of dust collected is still failrly low compared to a full size cyclone dust collector. I ended up upgrading and giving away the cyclone lid and trash can to a friend for his shop.

The problem I had was- a regular trash can cannot tolerate the vacuum pressure generated by the shop-vac. So the can would collapse. I ended up making some re-inforcement rings on the SB and solved the problem. I have tried metal, plastic, heavy duty cans, etc. By the time the trash can is full sized there is so much surface area for the vacuum to act on the thing just crumples without reinforcement.

Now on the positive side watching a shop vac collapse a trash can was kind of fun to watch! It makes a good show for visitors

When you have lemons.. make lemonade!

The reinforcement rings (2 of them in the trash can) stopped the problem.

D
    "The best thing about building something new is either you succeed or learn something. Its a win-win situation."

--Greg Westbrook

I have attached the Aspire file for making the trash can hoops. Note you need both an 18" ring and a 19" ring because the trash can is tapered. My trash can was a 33gallon metal one. If yours is a different size you will need to adjust the hoop sizes.

The hoops are designed as two layers of semicircles, the upper layer is rotated 90 degrees from the lower layer so they support each others joints.

The bottom semi-circles have holes for 1/4" barbed TNuts. The upper semi-circles have 1/4" bolt clearance holes. That is how the thing gets assembled. Beyond that its just press fit into the trash can.

Good luck, and with the usual lack of warranty and support-

Offered as "Beerware"..

D
    Attached Files Attached Files
    "The best thing about building something new is either you succeed or learn something. Its a win-win situation."

--Greg Westbrook

Thanks fellas'...Dana, thank-you for the file.
    Hadn't even thought about the trashcan collapsing!

I built my own from this
    http://www.woodcraft.com/Articles/Ar...?articleid=408
    I use two trash cans with this lid and collect 90% of dust and trash before it gets to my dust bag.
    Attached Images Attached Images

You guys really need to check out this guy's site. http://www.cgallery.com/jpthien/cy.htm

The Thien Cyclone Separator Lid w/ the Thien Cyclone Separator Baffle

Jerry built one for his dust collector a said it worked great.

I built a thein and it does work great, it is almost too good to be true, best $30 and 2 hours I have spent.
    I did a table surface of mdf, and got about 1/4 teaspoon of dust in the DC bag....

I built one and it does work very good. The only stuff that dets to my dust bag is very fine MDF dust and some pink foam dust