Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sanding detailed 3d projects

Default Sanding detailed 3d projects

Hi All,

I love some of the 3d scenes and other fine detail projects that can be cut on a shopbot with 1/8 or even 1/16 ball nose bits, but how do you go about sanding a piece like this to prepare it for finishing?

Is it just a suck it up and get a small piece of sandpaper, or are there other types of surface prep machines (maybe a type of light sandblasting) out there to do this quickly and efficiently? Or is this a matter of speed and feed and chip loading?

Thanks. I have a client that would love me to make a fireplace mantel with one of the Vector art scenes, but I don't know how to prep it for finishing.

Mark Brinson

do a search for "sanding mop" you'll see it is just a bunch of small strips of sand paper that goes on a mandrel and you attach it to your drill press and hold your carved piece to it while it spins. It does a fairly decent job.

You can get different grits but it doesn't get everything.

Mark where are you in Virginia?

Hi Jack,
    Thanks for the info about the sanding mop. How has it performed on detailed projects. Also, for large projects, how would it perform in a hand drill?

This just might fit the bill!

I'm located just West of Charlottesville. I have a new PRS Std with PC router and love it. Very much a newbie but learning fast.
    Mark

Merit Industries makes a product called a Sand O Flex. I have been using one for years on hand carvings so naturally grabbed it for carvings on the Bot.

I used to use it on the drill press for caricature carvings but find it much easier to handle on a hand drill. It may not get it all but it gets most, without ruining details. I use 320 grit paper on it and gave the strips a few extra cuts.

They sell the Sand O Flex at Woodcraft but not the cartridge refills. It comes with something like 80 grit, way too coarse for me. I order the 320 grit refills directly from Merit. You can also buy the tool and refills from Klingspors site:
    http://www.woodworkingshop.com/cgi-b...onthsBetween=0

I am sure there are others and I wish someone would put a name on them, but this one works for me.

I just found Sanding Mops that Jack was talking about ( at least I assume these are the ones he was referring to) and ordrered one from Klingspor. I will try anything once. Thanks Jack.
    Last edited by COBOB; 09-04-2011 at 06:18 PM.

I like to use one of these from Klingspor in a hand drill. I usually get the 180 pack and once it's broke in, it does a pretty good job of buffing out carvings. There's still some hand work to be had and I'll also use a sharp exacto knife at times to get some of the stubborn fuzzies.

http://www.woodworkingshop.com/cgi-b...onthsBetween=0
    Scott

Default steel wool

is there ever a day i dont learn something on here. i have been using a pick and steel wool, but the mop is the next tool for me to order.

If you have access to the March 2011 Vectric newsletter, Michael Tyler suggested tooling for his "Paradise" carved box. He mentioned that he used miniature 3M Abrasive bristle discs. See McMaster part number 4494A52 and other grits listed on that section of their catalog. I tried them for a few 3 by 4 and 6 by 8 inch carvings and was pretty happy with them. They lasted longer than I thought they would if I didn't bear down hard on them.

I was using them on soft maple carvings. Your mileage may vary.
    Harold

Let me DROP EVERYTHING and work on YOUR job!!

X2...Or a Fladder brand. Scotch pads work better than leaf sandpaper - which tends to shave off sharp details.

-B
    High Definition 3D Laser Scanning Services - Advanced ShopBot CNC Training and Consultation - Vectric Custom Video Training IBILD.com