Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Indexer setup

Default Indexer setup

I will try to post a pic of the setup. I routed a 3/8 deep x 4 in wide groove in my table for the indexer mounting plates. I have been running my shopbot kinda on autopilot for the last 2 years, I've not been doing anything out of the oridinary just cabinet parts and signs nothing like this indexing stuff. So I guess I have forgot a few things. My indexer head will always been mounted in the same place, for that matter it will probably never come off the table. So how do I come up with a seperate homing program that won't mess with the one I have to find the corner of my table?
    41153.jpg

Well, I have run into a problem with the way I was going to mount this thing. I don't have enough travel, I will only be able to turn a 2.5 diameter. So back to the drawing board. I didn't want to mount it on the end of the table because I have plans on a dovetailing fixture and edge boring. Plus I didn't want to take it off and on to change the set up. I need some set up pics. I want to be able to turn at least a 8". Full capacity 9" would be better. Any ideas?

I have a prt alpha and i made a table with a gully built in so that i can turn up to a 12" column. I don't know what model you have and i don't think you can do this with a prs but here is one picture.

41157.jpg

Yeah I seen that when searching for set up pic, that's awesome I would give anything if I had thought of that when I was putting mine together. I think mine is a prs alfa, I don't really know anymore. I have cut cabinets parts day after day and now things are a little slower and would love to do something more creative.

If you have a prs you may be stuck with no other option then to mount it in the Y axis. However if you want to make say a 8' long column you could design it in smaller sections and dowel it together. Frankly most things like balusters, table legs, lamp bases, and much more can be made by a indexer in the Y axis.

Well, I'm up and running!!! I just decided to mount it in the x position but I mounted it right on the alum extrusion. It only gives me about a 8 round turning or a 5 1/2 sqaure blank turning capacity. But thats ok for now. Just wanted to get it up and running so I could play. So far all I've done is turn a blank round. Will post some pics later of my real first project if no one will laugh. Thanks for all the help. Rick

Try using the "turn a blank using a partwizard profile" option so you can turn something other than round. Also to give yourself a bit more diameter to turn take a compass and draw a circle on the end of your square and then go to ther tablesaw and cut your square edges off. That will give you a bit more diameter to work with.
    If you want to experiment with some spiral toolpaths I can make a few for you to play with.

... and then go to their tablesaw and cut your square edges off ... ooh thats good.

Almost certainly I would have come up with some elaborate idea requiring planetary alignment to work ... but no ... Jack comes out with some good old fashioned logic.
    41264.gif

Well, here it is. I didn't have a rope making bit, so I just used a 1/4 ballnose and done a raster toolpath. I used Artcam 2008. Jack, I would like to see some spiral toolpaths, if you wouldn't mind emailing them to me. I like to see how others do things. Thanks to everyone for the help. I'm off and running now. Uh.
    41268.jpg
    41269.jpg

Rick, now that is cool! How long did that take to create? With a rope spiraling bit (www.magnate.net) I can show you how to create that same design in about 2 minutes. Contact me via email and give me some deminsions of a rope design you would like (diameter and length of stock you want to make) and i'll send you a couple files to try. Do you have any regular roundover bits? What sizes?