Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Indexer and ArtCam Pro 2008

I guess I'm missing something. I don't wrap anything unless I need to see how a pattern meets on the back side.
    Here is how I do it.
    1 3d cut square to round
    2 Z level cut
    3 3d relief cut with 1/2" round nose
    4 turn profile , last pass only

42656.jpg

42657.jpg

This model was made with the long side in Y axis, the Z level tool path was rastered at 90 deg. I also did three 3d relief paths all rastered at 90 deg. I also did a turning file for Y parallel. all worked fine in simulations. No wraping - except to look at!
    42658.jpg

I'm going to have to try that method. I've only ran my indexer 6 ot 7 times now. I thought you had to wrap it. I'll have some time today to play a little, will post back some results. Everybody does things a little different, that's what make this stuff fun.

Rick , I did a whole lot of turnings before I discovered you COULD wrap them. I've done a LOT of turning over the years (28) so I'm used to looking at just a line drawing to see the shape. I started off turning all passes on the indexer but it took too long , the motor got too hot ( I still put a fan on it) and I got tired of all the editing I was doing to cut out all that air cutting on the first several passes.
    42663.jpg
    This is an example , the blank has been turned round , then a Z level roughing cut , what you see is a 3d pass with a 1/2" round nose , the next pass will be a turning pass with the same bit , I would use a 3/16" bit for legs.
    42664.jpg

Now call me stupid if you what to. The z rough looks like the indexer is indexing a degree or 2 or stepover, but we you say a turning pass are you turning the indexer like a lathe? And can that be done in Artcam 2008?

I won't cal you stupid if you don't call me stupid LOL.
    The Z pass and the first ( and only) 3d pass are with a 1/2" round nose with a step over of .25".
    The last "turning pass" is done differently , it is done with the indexer utility "Carve the blank to a shape using a Part Wizard profile" For that you need a toolpath along the vector at 0" depth , this is the "profile " they ask for.
    42677.jpg

The turning vector is JUST the shape you want and it MUST be centered at 0".
    Clear as mud???

Man!!! those pictures NEVER go where I want them!!!
    It's waaay over there to the right.

I forgot about the TI funtion in the shopbot software. Never used it but once to turn a blank round. I kept thinking ARTCAM, you taught me something.

Oh yea , the turning vector toolpath MUST be saved with "Shopbor inch" PP

You should all know that I have a talent for leaving out vital little bits of information , so if I told you something and it doesn't work , I probley left something out!

Rick , why is it called "TI"? , I just know it as the indexer utility.

I try to use all the utilities and functions... I need all the help I can get...

Jim , you up yet , it's lunch time here on the east coast!
    You Said "Both files make the indexer spin as
    fast as I believe it will go and move Y very slowly." Have you set VD to the right number? for me that's 5 as I have 2 Zs. Could you post a screen shot of part of the .sbp file you tried?