Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Second question...

Lex,
    What you want is pretty easy to achieve. Just lay out your tools in the pattern you want to store them & take a few crisp dead-on pics with the camera. Be sure to have the tools laying on a high contrast background in a color distinct from your tools. Then import the pic into PartWorks and wrap vectors around the tools. You can do this with the tool in PW or manually wrap. Either way, it is cake. Then just do an area clear as deep as you need to go for the tools.

As far as cam clamps, Grizzly sells a nice clamp similar to what Ron shows. David Buchsbaum also sells cam clamps that are very nice. I had a job that required 24 cam clamps and buying them would have eaten the job. So I just made my own. Draw a circle & rectangle, then weld them together. Place a pivot hole dead center of the larger circle, and move it back the distance you need the max cam clamp displacement to be. It's easy...if you try. I've made them from maple, PVC, acrylic and aluminum. It depends on what you are clamping. The softer materials will not mar the finish of the parts being held if this is a concern. You can make them plain or add a bearing. Skate board bearings are cheap & have a 8mm - 5/16" center bore.

Denis - Nice link. I've seen those types of clamps before & made my own vee type rendition to jam things down. The problem is you need something underneath (like a t-slot and steel stud) that can really take the pressure. They are excellent as you point out, when milling out scary metal on a cast iron t-slot table. Hey - You're not that far away from me...we should link up sometime.

-B
    High Definition 3D Laser Scanning Services - Advanced ShopBot CNC Training and Consultation - Vectric Custom Video Training IBILD.com

Brady, thanks for simple explanation for wooden cam clamp. Just lost a 1/8" carvewright kyocera using Shopfox clamps(first time I've used them and wasn't thinking it through) as the Shopfox's clamp the top of the wood and the tab is on the bottom and the material plus shim was less than a 1/4". Cut first fence out and of course the unsupported wood just BENT and when bit got into second cutout, it just lifted the wood clear and Snap! I now know what snapping carbide sounds like Almost as dramatic as making custom screw heads. It would have been so easy to avoid too Oh well.
    scott P.
    2013 Desktop/spindle/VCP 11.5**
    Maine

Poor explanation, 2000 more words. Sometimes I amaze myself
    Attached Images Attached Images
    scott P.
    2013 Desktop/spindle/VCP 11.5**
    Maine

Default Shop fox clamps on Amazon...

Easy Cam clamp: Basically a paddle similar in looks to a ping pong paddle with an off center hole in it. When I make them I cut a stack at once out of plywood scrap and don't really care if they get trashed over time.