Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Imported files have open vectors?

Default Imported files have open vectors?

I'm stumped with this one. I created a celtic fish design about 7 years in CorelDraw, vectors 1pt with no fills. Saved as an .ai file imported into Part Wizard, created v-carving toolparch and cut - no problem.

Years later I've located the .ai file I had (and still have the original .cdr file), imported into PartWorks and the vectors either change shape, are not joined where they were joined and after zooming in and using the node editor to connect lines I still end up with the message "YOU HAVE 27 OPEN VECTORS".
    I've taken the same file and edited in AutoCad LT, saved it as a .dxf (2000 version), imported into PartWorks and still cannot create a toolpath.

I've got a quite a few of these old designs I created and I need to engrave asap. All the old designs I had have been v-carved years ago.

Any pointers would be greatly appreciated.

That happens when the end of one line in the AI file does not have the same exact coordinates as the line that is supposed to "continue" the figure.

The way to "fix" it is to use the "Join Vectors" under the edit menu. It will tell you how many open vectors you have now, and how many will remain afterwards.

If any remain you can "select open vectors" and go examine each one to see what the problem is, then decide to fix them individually by right clicking on the open vectors and selecting the menu item "Join/Close vectors". Under that you can add a line, move end points, etc. Chose according to your requirements...

Hope that helps

D
    "The best thing about building something new is either you succeed or learn something. Its a win-win situation."

--Greg Westbrook

Thanks Dana, I think I've done all that.

I only need to v-carve on the vector lines. Even if I select one curved vector and try create a toolpath it tells me that is there is one open vector. I have used Join Vectors command on the edit menu to make sure that this one line has no breaks in it.

Have just tried using the Polyline tool, drawn one short straight line and gone to create a toolpath using the v-carve/Engraving option, selected required V Carving bit and clicked create toolpath and it says that there is one open vector.

I must be doing something seriously wrong because this just does not make sense and will hopefully kick myself when I realise the problem.

Hmm..

Try selecting duplicate vectors.. it may be you have a second vector on top of the one(s) you want and its the one that you need to nuke.

Odd that it worked before and not now if you didn't change anything..

I have had the duplicate problem before so that might be the trouble. Usually when I get these odd problems is when somebody else does the design and who knows what they did, but it sure is "creative"!

After all it "looks" ok..

D
    "The best thing about building something new is either you succeed or learn something. Its a win-win situation."

--Greg Westbrook

Karen

One other suggestion to add to Dana's good advice... Occasionally I have had vectors that were likely remnants of another operation (like trimming). These "remnants" were so small that they could not be seen even when "selected". Using "Select all open vectors" and hitting delete will remove them. This will either fix the issue or make it worse!

Steve
    Last edited by steve_g; 10-20-2011 at 10:39 AM. Reason: spelling

Steve
    Thats why there is an undo button!
    http://www.WoodworkingByErminio.com

Custom Cabinetry, Furniture ,CNC Services
    Email:Wberminio@msn.com
    914-666-8746 Shop/Office

Karen

I apologize for answering your question before I read your question carefully. You can't v-carve an open segment, you have to use the 2D profile toolpath, select "machine on the line", choose a depth, and choose a V-bit tool. V-carving is only fro carving between vectors.

Hope this helps.
    Steve

Okay kicking myself!

Figured it out... I was selecting the V-Carve/Engraving toolpath option instead of selecting "Create Profile Toolpath", then select the V-Bit cutter and cut on vector. Now the program is happy with me again. mmm. Sorry guys but thanks for your input.

Steve so while I was typing and had it all figured you too came up with my problem!! Great stuff. Hopefully someone else will benefit from silly mistakes like these.
    Thanks

The forum is a great place to let someone "look over our shoulder".. I make some really bone-headed mistakes sometimes. Usually I dont go post those, the forum doesn't have enough room!

Glad you figured out the problem!

Looking forward to more posts.. an photos!

D

--Greg Westbrook