Thread: Cutting Speeds for PVC

Default Cutting Speeds for PVC

Hello,
    I am carving out a sign in PVC and was wondering what the best speeds are for doing so, so the PVC does "pill" per say. I am also doing a small 3D carve in PVC and was wondering the what speed is good for intricate work. Any suggestions? I know HDU is the best to use in 3D, but this is for a client that wants PVC. Any suggestions would greatly be appreciated. Thank you.

Lindsay

I would contact a company called Onsrud - they make router bits and have been very helpful when I had similar questions

John

Quote Originally Posted by NeathawkSigns View Post
    Hello,
    I am carving out a sign in PVC and was wondering what the best speeds are for doing so, so the PVC does "pill" per say. I am also doing a small 3D carve in PVC and was wondering the what speed is good for intricate work. Any suggestions? I know HDU is the best to use in 3D, but this is for a client that wants PVC. Any suggestions would greatly be appreciated. Thank you.

Lindsay

You can finish cut 3D in expanded PVC with a regular ball end mill - just like you would machine 3D in any other substrate. It is going to be a bit sandy/grainy no matter what tool you select.

Just like I tell anyone cutting a new material or strategy - cut a sample! Try it out and observe what is going on. Mess with move speeds and RPM until you are happy with the results. In this case, it shouldn't be too difficult to find the sweet spot.

-B
    High Definition 3D Laser Scanning Services - Advanced ShopBot CNC Training and Consultation - Vectric Custom Video Training IBILD.com