Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 3D Wrapping

Default 3D Wrapping

What is 3d wrapping and unwrapping, it is a stl file or a 3ds file or a 3d dxf file you can find anywhere on the internet or make yourself, if you have the programs you can make table legs and columns like this

Made and cut by Gene Marshall

37920.jpg

Made and cut Khalid

37921.jpg
    The method is this, find something you want to cut as a leg for a table or chair.

37922.jpg

37923.jpg

You will need to bring it into Artcam for unwrapping

37924.jpg

You will need to set the file below the 0 plane to get the results you want, most of the time it is just half the model or less

37925.jpg

This is what it looks like unwrapped

37926.jpg

And this is the results you get when it is wrapped.

37927.jpg

37928.jpg

37929.jpg

As you see this is a complex part and the results came out great.

Simple ways of doing legs is just using a profile to be able to make this

37930.jpg

Files can be made fast and simple but you will need the right programs for the job, without the programs there is no need to go any farther and try to figure out another ways, the only other way I know of is buy the programs needed or buy pre made files or have some one make them for you.

I can make 100s of files like this but will be in sizes not for your needs, I have thought about making 3 different sizes so it can be cut on the end of the stock to fit just about any table or desk or chair, it is only a thought.

Besiddes arecam, is there anything else that will cynidrcally unwrap that's not thousands of dollars?

John

Deskproto or rams gold both out perform artcam when it comes to indexing a 3d model. Deskproto is around 1300 and rams gold is around 1000.

You can download a full working copy of deskproto 5 on their website. will work for 30 days.

DeskProto is very good for indexing...I'll be trying it in the near future & comparing it to other strategies. Bear in mind that it is machining a full 3D model in the round. It is not actually unwrapping it & will not allow you to alter the shape of the part - which I think is what John wants to be able to do.

-B

RON..The Eagle on the indexer is not made or cut by me..I think it was done by VELLECA5555 on Artcam Forum..

Thanks for sharing the pictures and informations.
    Regards

It ewould be nice to be able to unwrap and edit (simple edits like domed text), but I can always work directlty with the 3d model too, if I can get the result machined nicely. I was thinking unwrap software would have to be cheaper than full rotary toolpathing software.

38015.jpg

Here's something I did with my little indexer. Its the dragon from the aspire disk wrapped around a cylinder.

John S.

John..very nice picture.. .Keep up sharing pictures it motivate us.. Can you please tell us the dimensions of the part, the tools used and the time took to complete machining

6" long, 7.5" circumferance. I roughed with an endmill (2 passes) = 1 hour. I finished with an 1/8" roundnose = 3 hours. I know the next one will be significantly faster as I know I can ramp up the z and x speed and the indexer stepover a lot.